Best/Proper way to demo iPhone for sale (in person)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beedoola, Jun 23, 2012.

1. beedoola macrumors member

so I'm about to list my iPhone 4 on craigslist and I want to know what the best/proper method is for showing phone to someone. I removed my sim card - the phone is currently Jailbroken. Do I just let them examine it and if they want it then do I do the "erase all content and settings" and thats it?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

1st of all on a jailbroken phone never use the erase all content and settings it throws it into a loop I promise it will instantly kill the sale. I'd 1st ask if they want it jb restore as new jb or not once you get a new phone won't matter if your sim is in there or not everything is on the new sim.. meet in a very public place like starbucks my personal favorite is the police station..

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

Thanks i didn't know about the loop if your jailbroken and use erase all content

If the buyer doesn't care about jailbreak , just connect the phone to iTunes , hit. Restore

And when you get to restore as new or from backup unplug the phone ' that's it your done

It will be like a new phone , all your info gone, i assume

4. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

to clarify. You're saying it can't be restored via the erase all content option correct? It CAN be restored to factory settings if I restore via iTunes, as Che said?

Thanks to you both.

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

If the iphone is JB it will not restore to factory settings when you sell it. I would unjailbreak it until you sell it, so that way right in front of your potential buyer you can reset the phone to factory settings.

6. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

its a tethered jailbreak if that means anything? Used Redsnow...

How do you "unjailbreak" it?

7. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I can not confirm from experience if it is a tethered jailbreak.

About unjailbreaking, I meant to do a full restore via itunes.

8. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

so with regard to the first quote - are you saying that the "erase all settings" method on the phone won't restore? as "layman" said?

Are you saying the phone can never be restored to factory settings or that it cannot via the phone? - Only through iTunes?

9. chestvrg macrumors 65816

That is correct, that is why if u plan to sell the phone it is best to restore and don't jailbreak it.

I once sold my old iphone4 and it was JB, I had the same problem. To make matters worse, the people's home internet connection were I went to sell it was not working fast enough and it was taking an eternity for itunes to download the IPSW file (which can be in excess of 400MB in size). In the end I gave up & ended up giving the phone to the new owner with all my pictures, I manage to painstakinly delete all my contacts, some calendar entries, but I felt like I had left too much confidential info prior to selling it.

The next time I sell my 4S, I'll make sure I restore first.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

so to truly restore, I must do it via iTunes right?

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Basically the ONLY way to restore a jailbroken iPhone is to hit "Restore" when it is plugged into iTunes.

Anything else would stuff up the phone.

13. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Correct.

14. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

Eureka. Thanks! sorry I kept asking and asking, I was just a little unsure.

Thanks again y'all!

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

If your jailbroken & restore your phone from iTunes all will be erased including the jailbreak