Best protective case with openings to fit aftermarket headphones/Lightning cables

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AlphaGuitarist, Nov 12, 2014.

1. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I am currently keeping my iPhone 6 in a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case that probably won't offer enough drop protection. The only reason I'm using this case is because it has openings that are large enough to accommodate the plug of my Audio Technica earbuds, as well as the Lightning input of my external battery. The Incipio DualPro case seems ideal in terms of the bulk to protection balance, but the port openings seem like they won't accommodate anything other than OEM Apple plugs. The Tech21 cases have openings that will definitely fit aftermarket equipment, but I don't like them from an aesthetic perspective, as they look like glorified TPU cases. Can anyone suggest something that's similar to the Incipio DualPro and will accommodate aftermarket inputs?

2. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I have a DualPro Shine case on my 6, and my aftermarket cables from RocketFish and Belkin fit just fine.

3. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

Thanks for the quick response. Are these the Lightning cables or the headphones as well?

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I don't know about the headphones part. I use a Monster AUX cable in my car and that fits just fine. Along with a Belkin RCA-AUX cable at home for my speakers and that fits just fine too.

My lightning cables from Radio Shack DO NOT fit the Incipio Case, but these are pretty thick/fat on the lightning part. I think they're "Auvio" branded. The OEM's, Belkin's and Rocketfish lightning cables fit ok.

5. w4rmk macrumors regular

6. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

7. w4rmk macrumors regular

No, but I cut out a circle from an old screen protector and applied it directly over the Apple logo. I made the size of the circle a little bit bigger than the case opening. So my logo is protected from scratches, even though the likely hood would have been pretty low anyway.

8. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

Thanks, guys. I ended up grabbing the Incipio DualPro Shine (silver/gray) from Amazon. It appears that the Lightning port opening is slightly larger than the one on my current case, which fits aftermarket Lightning cables just fine. I'm not sure about the headphone port, but I'll get an extensio cable, if worst comes to worst. I really like the aesthetics of this case and it seems like it'll offer a decent amount of drop protection.

9. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I have the same case in Navy Blue, and like it a lot so far.

10. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

My Incipio DualPro case arrived today. I absolutely love the quality of the case. The fit, look and profile make it well worth the $18 I spent on it (gotta love Amazon!). In fact, it's far better than similarly priced cases on Amazon. While the lightning connector of my external battery fits like a hand in glove, the connector of the Audio Technica earbuds didn't fit. It's unfortunate, as I love the case and will definitely be keeping it as my daily driver. I guess I'll have to get a headphone adapter. Otherwise, the case is excellent and the color scheme of mine (silver/gray) perfectly complements my space gray iPhone 6.