Best Ram and 7200RPM HD Upgrades for MacBook Aluminum?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SoupyFlow, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SoupyFlow macrumors member

I plan upgrading my 2.4GHz Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook to 4GB of ram and I also want to throw in a 7200RPM hard drive to replace the current stock hard drive.

I was just curious what the best choices would be for Ram and a new 7200RPM hard drive?

Right now I am thinking about going with this 4GB kit from crucial:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2E9B2B4EA5CA7304

Anyone had any problems with that Crucial ram? I have always upgraded my Mac lappys with Crucial in the past and never had a problem. (Knock on wood)

I am also not sure which HD to go with.

Basically I am just wanting to make sure and get Ram and a 7200RPM hard drive that is completely compatible and have no problems working with a MacBook Aluminum. I have heard that some Ram upgrades have been causing freezing and some 7200RPM HD upgrades have been causing massive vibrations to occur in the MacBook.

I am also hearing that there might be a new 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive coming out soon, if so, how much more will it be then a 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive?

If anyone can give me some advice that would be great!

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Crucial RAM is good quality. Never had any problems with Crucial, and have used it in my last three computers (including my new unibody MacBook). As for hard drives, I'd say wait two weeks and get the soon to be released Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB drive.

3. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

There is a post going around that alu macbooks have problems with memory that is not from samsung which is their default... i dunno, but if you get it post your results as i want to do the same..

thanks

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have 4GB of Crucial RAM running in my MacBook without any problems. Runs beautifully.

5. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Sweet - thx for the info - where did you hear the 2-week info, is it on pre-sale somewhere?