Best Route To Go To Play 360 On My iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt1219, Oct 31, 2009.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

When I get money to do so, I'm planning to bring my 360 to my room and either hook it up to my iMac (via various peripherals) or buy an external monitor. I'm looking to spend at most $250, but I'd like to spend under $200. Here are my current options:

1. Buy an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid $150 This will be the neatest and most simple route to go. It would give me room to put my Xbox on my desk, unlike a monitor. It is my most considered, but it lessens the quality, since the connection would go through composite cables.

2. Buy a 21-23" Monitor w/ HDMI connection and built-in speakers (thinking this, but please suggest other cheap options that would look good next to my 24" Early 2008 iMac) at least $157 (including HDMI cable) This could be the most expensive way to go, but offers the bets quality for gaming. I could also potentially use this with my iMac. The bad side is it would take up a lot of room on my desk.

Please respond with suggestions. Thanks!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

go the external monitor as the EyeTV can only take a RCA input that displays at a max of 480x640!! imagine how ugly that will look haha.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've heard that EyeTV also introduces some lag, meaning trying to use it with a console would be next to impossible. :/

It would be a lot more expensive, but have you considered buying an LCD TV for your room? You could use it with your iMac for watching movies, and for gaming. But a 32" TV starts around $400... :S

4. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what my gut is telling me. I just have to find a way to fit a monitor AND my 360 on my desk. :p

5. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Naw. I'm almost 14, my parents are barely letting me do this, they won't let me get an actual TV in my room until I'm like 15 or 16, if then. Plus, I don't need a TV. Hulu Desktop + Front Row FTW! :p

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

playing the ps2 on my monitor/s there is zero lag.

HAHAHA cant have everything im afraid ;) upgrade to a new imac that can take an external source (such as ps2/xbox)??

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: I'm talking about using an EyeTV with an iMac - not a monitor. If you've successfully used EyeTV to play a console through an iMac screen, then that's great - I'm simply reporting what I've heard.

New iMacs can reportedly only take external input with a $150 converter box - simply plugging in a console won't work (apparently).

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i know exactly what you're talking about. probably more then you atm haha ;)

i can use the EyeTV plugged into the computer, playing the ps2. ZERO lag. it has worked on my iMac, MBP and my hackintosh.

any clearer?

its not 'reportedly' - Apple themselves says that its true. if the device can plug into something that can give an image to a Display Port, it will work. i.e if you can find a HDMI->DP for your 360, then it should work.