Best Selling iPhone? Probably not...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MACis122, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MACis122 macrumors regular

Here's why, apple missed the mark when a new phone wasn't released in time for many people eligible coming from an iPhone 4, Many people anxious to upgrade and many who probably have some held off to see what the new iPhone had to offer. That time has come and many are 50/50 about it. In the past Apple had two new carriers introduce the iPhone bringing in new sales but now most people on sprints network aren't eligible and probably aren't willing to pay full retail. Many verizon customers aren't eligible as well so this will definitely cut into sells. Sells will be great but I don't think they will be as big of a gap as previous releases.

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

k

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If they set sales records with the 4S then the 5 setting them is a no-brainer. Yes, Android competition is much stiffer these days but I don't have a doubt that this one is going to reset the records.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Because you know all.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

I think it will sell out extremely fast this year. Why? Because lots of people are still on the 3GS, 4, and most people didn't upgrade to the 4S last year. There will be LOTS of people upgrading and lots of new customers.

6. MACis122, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012

MACis122 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying I know all I'm giving an opinion. Sprint users only had the 4S and I know a lot of people jumped on it because they wanted that phone and the unlimited plans that sprint offered

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Interesting theory, but I think you're dead wrong.

8. davefromca macrumors 6502

It is a new apple product, and not just a product, an Iphone. They could have released an iphone "4s II" and the only difference is a different colored apple symbol on the back and it would smash records. I really hope you're right, because I want the 5 asap.

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The biggest weakness in your argument is that most iPhone's are not bought in the U.S.A. Even if everything you said turns out to be correct, it's only one albeit big market.

10. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Cool story, bro

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think you will quickly be proven wrong. Here's why: inertia.

In order for current iPhone users to drop it @ upgrade time they have to have a reason -- either a better phone or an iPhone that totally jumps the shark. iPhone users over 2+ years of ownership have on avg 100 apps, some paid, some not. They aren't going to dump them on a whim. Also they know how to use an iPhone. Most consumers don't look forward to switching once they've learned a system (See: Windows).

Most adults don't get fire in their pants the very moment they are eligible for an upgrade. I'm very much a gadget geek and I held onto my iPhone 4 for 10 months longer than I had to b/c the iPhone 4S wasn't going to be a huge upgrade for me. The iPhone 5 is. If that's how I feel I have to think non-techs are even more excited about the iPhone 5.

12. MACis122 thread starter macrumors regular

Many apps that people get are free. Some developers will work with people who switch to a platform that there app is available for so that is a non issue. Some people are anxious to upgrade come time to do so and in the time between the upgrade and release many phones have been released. I'm not saying people aren't excited about the 5 but I can guarantee you that people have jumped ship due to the wait. Most adults if they see something they want they get it

13. lbhskier37 macrumors member

I don't know anyone who has switch from iPhone to android. I know lots of former android owners that have switched to iPhone. I know 3 Andoid users that are preordering 5s tomorrow. None of my friends bought the 4s eventhough some were elligable for months. Also with AT&T and Verizon's crappy new plans you don't save much by using a dumb phone, so lots of former dumb phone users are going to be pushed into smart phones this quarter. People who are not tech savvy will go iPhone over android more often than not. All these things make me think apple will have a winner here. If you really don't think so you are free to short Apple stock as wallstreet has priced in the iPhone 5 setting records and anything less will disappoint them. I wouldn't put my money on that.

14. MACis122 thread starter macrumors regular

Just as you know people making the switch from android to apple. I also know people switching from apple to android so that makes no sense. he say she say. being that there are no official numbers only time will tell

15. lbhskier37 macrumors member

Bump! ;)

16. baummer macrumors 6502a

Well, 2 million units were already sold just for the pre-order. So, I think we can be sure your theory is wrong.

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a

this is fun. first, you use words like "many" and "most" coinciding with personal experience to apply it to an entire, studied, y-o-y consistent market, and try to state the opposite.

strike one.

then you say yourself that you're only giving an opinion, again using "a lot of people" and your experience as a credible source, and applying it to an entire market.

strike two.

you end it by saying that what you say is no better than what i say (essentially), and that since there aren't any official numbers, time will tell.

groundball to the second baseman and you're out at... whatever. the baseball analogy sucks, but your argument sucks worse. that's my point.

18. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you're right on the money with your pinpoint accurate projection. Apple totally missed the mark. It will be a white elephant. It's success will be greatly exaggerated.
    Oh wait, it's the most successful launch in history and the cash registers are going cha-ching!!

Simply brilliant!

19. lazard macrumors 65816

of course it will...if you don't own the new iPhone then you're not part of the cool group.

20. MACis122 thread starter macrumors regular

21. iPhone obsessed macrumors member

Cool story bro.

22. astral125 macrumors 6502

They are selling twice as many iPhone 5's as they sold iPhone 4s'.

23. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Guys, after seconds of contemplation I believe I have finally discovered the equation capable of predicting iPhone launch sales...

s(X) = sales of iPhone X, where X is the year of release

So...

s(X) > s(X-1)

24. MACis122 thread starter macrumors regular

I think someone already beat you to saying that. Try again

25. dannyhex macrumors regular

best selling iphone. Yes indeed the iphone 5 will be. Mark my words. Twice amount of preorders then last year, a million more. Expected 10 million sold before mon.