Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
there a bunch of websites that will buy your used iPhone . They make you an offer and you ship them the phone . I noticed some pay out better than others . Anyone have any experience in one of these websites? Is there one that seems to pay out higher than others?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
there a bunch of websites that will buy your used iPhone . They make you an offer and you ship them the phone . I noticed some pay out better than others . Anyone have any experience in one of these websites? Is there one that seems to pay out higher than others?
I have had the best experiences with Mac Me an Offer https://www.macmeanoffer.com/. I have sold them a few iPhones and iPads. Their offer and payment wasn't much less than using Swappa after deducting fees and shipping costs.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
How much can I roughly get for my 5S, 16gb, gold, in cherry condition? Everything is perfect and the box is clean.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
How much can I roughly get for my 5S, 16gb, gold, in cherry condition? Everything is perfect and the box is clean.

All of those site let you plug in your information to see what the price is. Why not check and see? Much better than asked here??
Gonna be well under $100 based on my previous checking. Pretty sure the only person/people that care if it is "cherry" is the actual buyer, not a middleman that groups all "very good" phones the same.

Last edited:

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
All of those site let you plug in your information to see what the price is. Why not check and see? Much better than asked here??
Gonna be well under $100 based on my previous checking. Pretty sure the only person/people that care if it is "cherry" is the actual buyer, not a middleman that groups all "very good" phones the same.
There are lots of these sites. My post is to help me discover one that someone has used and maybe never heard of. Seems to be a lot of them . I'm talking about sites like gazelle

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
There are lots of these sites. My post is to help me discover one that someone has used and maybe never heard of. Seems to be a lot of them . I'm talking about sites like gazelle

Your post was great. I was replying to another poster about his "cherry" phone. I cleaned up my earlier response.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have had the best experiences with Mac Me an Offer https://www.macmeanoffer.com/. I have sold them a few iPhones and iPads. Their offer and payment wasn't much less than using Swappa after deducting fees and shipping costs.

Not going to happen. Selling it yourself and sending it in a trade in site is not even close.
Swappa you sell to the end user. The fees and shipping is about $10.
Resell sites you leave way too much meat on the bone for them to profit and stay in business obviously.
Depending on the model and condition you're leaving over $100+ on the table.

Reactions: willmtaylor

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Not going to happen. Selling it yourself and sending it in a trade in site is not even close.
Resell sites you leave way too much meat on the bone for them to profit and stay in business obviously.

What he said. And your post made me hungry. :D

Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

This Exactly not what you're looking for a suggestion, but you can also sell on the forum marketplace on Macrumors as well. You may not earn as much as you might be expecting, but you will likely find some honest buyers.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

I was giving an example of a couple of phones I had on Swappa for several weeks, and ended up selling them to the mentioned re-seller for about $20.00 less than I would have cleared after the Swappa, PayPal and insured USPS shipping. And since they weren't moving on Swappa this was a better option at the time for me. And now Swappa is charging from $10-$25 buyer fees depending on the value of the item. The reason I mentioned MacMeanOffer, was because they tend to offer more than the other re-sellers. I realize most of the time you will get a better return selling via Craigslist, Swappa or eBay but with the potential for scammers, charge backs etc., some sellers don't want the added hassle and will take a little less.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I was giving an example of a couple of phones I had on Swappa for several weeks, and ended up selling them to the mentioned re-seller for about $20.00 less than I would have cleared after the Swappa, PayPal and insured USPS shipping. And since they weren't moving on Swappa this was a better option at the time for me. And now Swappa is charging from $10-$25 buyer fees depending on the value of the item. The reason I mentioned MacMeanOffer, was because they tend to offer more than the other re-sellers. I realize most of the time you will get a better return selling via Craigslist, Swappa or eBay but with the potential for scammers, charge backs etc., some sellers don't want the added hassle and will take a little less.

You have to remember that what those trade in website do is buy from you for less and then post them on ebay, CL, swappa or such sites and they just resell them to make a profit.
You are paying them a premium to avoid selling on your own so they will never give you the same amount of money you could get selling them yourself even after swappa or shipping fees. Common sense.
And no they are not doing all that just for $10-20 profit.
If they paid you what you can get for your phone via swappa/ebay/amazon/CL for example then they would be out of business.
And many of those reselling sites give you one estimated price quote once you log in to their site to wheel you in and after they receive your item they offer you a different lower price. Its the name of the game with those sites that buy used iphones. Or they will not send you any money until they actually sell it and make a profit or they will come up with some kind of excuse or a minor scratch to offer you $50-100 less of the original quoted price etc...
Im not speaking of the particular website you mentioned but generally those are many of the issues many have since there's tons of buying companies of used smartphones or tablets out there.

Last edited:

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
You have to remember that what those trade in website do is buy from you for less and then post them on ebay, CL, swappa or such sites and they just resell them to make a profit.
You are paying them a premium to avoid selling on your own so they will never give you the same amount of money you could get selling them yourself even after swappa or shipping fees. Common sense.
And no they are not doing all that just for $10-20 profit.
If they paid you what you can get for your phone via swappa/ebay/amazon/CL for example then they would be out of business.
And many of those reselling sites give you one price quoted once you log in to their site and after they receive it they offer you a different lower price. Its the name of the game with those sites that buy used iphones. Or they will not send you any money until they actually sell it and make a profit or they will come up with some kind of excuse or a minor scratch to offer you $50-100 less of the original quoted price etc...
Im not speaking of the particular website you mentioned but generally those are many of the issues many have since there's tons of buying companies of used smartphones or tablets out there.
Mac Me and Offer actually sells the items themselves on their website Mac of All Trades perhaps that is why I had good experiences with them and they have given me the quoted price each time.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Mac Me and Offer actually sells the items themselves on their website Mac of All Trades perhaps that is why I had good experiences with them and they have given me the quoted price each time.

Good to know.
But remember they have to make a profit to stay in business.
They are paying for shipping for you to send them the item, then they have to turn around and sell it themselves fast along with their time, effort and other operating expenses.
They're not going to do all that to make $10-20.
Usually the turnaround profit for re-sellers is at least 30% less of its retail value.
[doublepost=1498430316][/doublepost]Example $90 quoted on this site your suggested for a mint 16GB 5S, where a similar phone sold for $160 today on Swappa. And a few others for $175.
Shipping and swappa fees is about $10-15.
So you're leaving on the table about $60-70 or over 40% of its value.
Get what Im saying?
You're doing it for the convenience and to avoid dealing with actual people buying your device but its never going to be just a $20 difference like you mentioned above

$90 estimate at Mac Me and Offer.

chilman said:

Last edited:

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Good to know.
But remember they have to make a profit to stay in business.
They are paying for shipping for you to send them the item, then they have to turn around and sell it themselves fast along with their time, effort and other operating expenses.
They're not going to do all that to make $10-20.
Usually the turnaround profit for re-sellers is at least 30% less of its retail value.
[doublepost=1498430316][/doublepost]Example $90 quoted on this site your suggested for a mint 16GB 5S, where a similar phone sold for $160 today on Swappa. And a few others for $175.
Shipping and swappa fees is about $10-15.
So you're leaving on the table about $60-70 or over 40% of its value.
Get what Im saying?
You're doing it for the convenience and to avoid dealing with actual people buying your device but its never going to be just a $20 difference like you mentioned above

chilman said:
Remember, I was only giving an example of a couple of phones I sold where the spread wasn't as much as you quoted. The OP asked; "Anyone have any experience in one of these websites? Is there one that seems to pay out higher than others?"

It worked well for me at the time when there seemed to be a glut on the market, however I usually sell most if my IOS devices locally on Craigslist.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I have used Swappa for buying and selling phones or tablets. Pictures and date are approved by the Admins. Prices are set as buy only option (no bids).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Remember, I was only giving an example of a couple of phones I sold where the spread wasn't as much as you quoted. The OP asked; "Anyone have any experience in one of these websites? Is there one that seems to pay out higher than others?"

It worked well for me at the time when there seemed to be a glut on the market, however I usually sell most if my IOS devices locally on Craigslist.

I hear you bud, not saying there's anything wrong with using re-seller companies.
Many people dont want to deal with selling their things directly to the public.
I was just mentioning it comes with a premium and as long as one is ok with that then go for it ;)

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
The problem with Swappa is that there are far too many listings for iPhones and competition drives prices down.
With Macs it's different on there. Not many listings so you get fair price for your machine.

Also wanted to say that lately I have been using the local Facebook yard sale pages and it has worked ok. Sold a few itmes on there lately to local people. Quicker and more convenient than Craigslist.

Mathew5894

Suspended
Jun 19, 2017
I used to sell old iPhone to a local repair shop. The price is a bit lower than online but it saves time.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I sold my Air 2 on swappa and got $230 after fees and shipping. They're quoting $215 for it which is pretty good.
[doublepost=1498443122][/doublepost]
The problem with Swappa is that there are far too many listings for iPhones and competition drives prices down.
With Macs it's different on there. Not many listings so you get fair price for your machine.

Also wanted to say that lately I have been using the local Facebook yard sale pages and it has worked ok. Sold a few itmes on there lately to local people. Quicker and more convenient than Craigslist.
I tried to sell a 6S plus back in Nov. on FB and got nothing but people trying to lowball me. Never trying on there again.

Reactions: violetjune
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.