Best temporary carrier in US/Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NedBookPro, Mar 1, 2013.

1. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

I'll be travelling in Canada and the US in a few months, and I'm wondering what would be the best pre-paid carrier to go with during that time?

No so worried about making calls, but more interested in data for staying in touch via emailing, social media, etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

2. chilibball macrumors member

In the US i would probably use an AT&T GoPhone SIM card and put some prepaid allowance on it. Then change your APN to get data to work on it. It will be reasonably fast on AT&T (Fake) 4G (HSPA+). Or you could use T-Mobile, which will probably be a better value. However, you will most likely be limited to EDGE using their network.

In Canada I would probably explore Fido or Virigin. I hear they are cheap and run off of the major networks (Rogers, Bell) up North. I am not from Canada but I feel reasonably confident on this information.

Kevin

3. NedBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Kevin....

Sounds a bit confusing, but I'll try to explore the options.

Sounds like AT&T is the major carrier in the US.

We have a lot of choice here in Australia. Pre-paid for @ $34 per month with unlimited calls to land-line or mobile, and 4GB Data included.

Was looking for something similar that would cover US and Canada if possible.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This forum not so useful for generic cell service questions, go to howardforums.com it happens to be based in Canada but has lots of U.S. audience and forums. Look for a common carrier for both countries and BAM!

5. papen macrumors newbie

It's either straighttalk $43 for unlimited call/txt/2gb data or gosmart $45 unlimited call/txt/ 3gb data. However, gosmart is on tmobile network so you only have 3g or Edge on iphone 4s and below.

Att prepaid has $50 unlimited but you have to buy data seperately and it is $25 for 1GB (was just 500Mb. They increased it)

6. NedBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ... 3g speeds are good enough. I don't plan on streaming video and the like. Does gosmart do Canada and US?

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

3G USA speeds (T Mobile or ATT) are fine for searching internet and for google maps. You just dont want E speeds since its very very slow.

GoSmart only for USA. You need to use one company when in the USA and another in Canada. For the USA, using any iPhone on T Mobile or GoSmart you may be restricted to E speeds, which is extremely slow speeds.

I live in USA and visited Canada about a month ago and used Fido, which runs under Rogers Wireless. Fido did not require me to buy a voice plan and so I was able to buy data only. Some other company required me to buy voice AND data, forgot the company name though.....

It was $10 for 100 MB or $25 for 500 MB. I had to pay for a Fido micro sim and think it was another $10 CDN dollars. I was in Vancouver and was on 3G there on my iPhone 5, and surfing web and using maps was fast enough. The person said that area had LTE coverage but never got my iPhone 5 to get LTE coverage.

8. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Just get a StraightTalk SIM in time for your visit. The card is around $15 and the service ends up being $49 with junk fees.