Best time to buy the new MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TazmoStarkana, Oct 27, 2016.

1. TazmoStarkana macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I want to buy the new 15" MacBook Pro, likely the base $2400 build but I have some questions first.

First, when do other sellers start selling them? I'm talking about MacMall, Amazon, B&H, etc. I'd like to order my laptop from one of them to avoid paying a ridiculously high sales tax. And when is the best time to buy with the highest discounts? Anytime from now to new year.

Second, where can I find benchmarks between the CPUs available in the customization options. I'd really like to know if it's worth paying the extra $300 for the bump from 2.6GHz to 2.9GHz, or if I should go ahead and double that and bump it up to $600 for 2.9GHz, double storage (512GB), and Radeon Pro 460 instead of the 450. I'd also like to know the benchmarks for their Radeon Pro 450, 455, and 460. Either customized it a bit with upgrades or go with their base option. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as it will help me decide what to get.

Finally, did apple start selling USB-C adapters and do you have any recommendations on that?

Many thanks for all your help!

2. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

3. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Research benchmarks - remember not many authorized resellers sell BTO MBP. Normally MacMall does.

5. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just noticed that MacMall adds a sales tax for my orders now. That sucks. Now there's no point in buying from them anymore. Anyone know when they go on sale on Amazon? I'd guess they'd offer the best price if not very close to it.

Also, how much does Apple knock off for Black Friday usually? For the 15-inch MacBook Pro specifically.

6. ag29 macrumors 6502

Just like others have already said,

Around Black Friday will be the best time to buy. There will be plenty of links posted by users on here to the best deals possible.

I would look at the benchmarks, they will give you an idealistic feel of how the mac's would perform with the upgrades, They are not up yet as far as I know, but they should be up within a week or two at most. What you are comparing are minor spec bumps however and they're not going to make a big difference but it is still an improvement nonetheless.

7. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Black Friday discounts on Macs vary from 5-10% historically from most retailers. Some will offer actual discounts, some will give away other goods with the device.

Apple did no discounts last year, will be interesting to see if it returns this year.

8. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

Am I correct in assuming you can't combine Black Friday discounts on top of an Education discount?

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I believe that's right. So no 20% discounts here! Haha

10. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

I can't find benchmark info for the 3 different CPU and GPU models offered.

Could someone please help me out? What are the CPU models they offer for the MacBook Pros?

I did manage to find this about the GPU:

[​IMG]

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

Being in the USA, what i'm going to do is wait until I get any kind of discount. 1st, I don't (can't afford to) pay any taxes. 2nd, These will be discount by probably, $200US next month. I will buy one then, as these are a little pricey. Best to at least TRY to get a discount.

So out the door I figure $2200, for the 15". This will make me ..less nervous .

Mind your folks, they will HAVE to discount heavily if they want to sell any