Best to sell iphone 2g Locked or unlocked on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antj29, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Antj29 macrumors member

As title says, how have peiople sold there old iphones, locked or unlocked. is it best to just sell it as it is with a fresh restore to avoid any problems latter on.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Didn't matter for my two v1 iPhones. Sold one on CL for $475 and one on eBay for $415, and neither was unlocked or JB'd...

3. cmyk macrumors newbie

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

A few guides that I have seen say to sell it unlocked, as they say it will bring in a higher price, but as it is a pretty easy process, I would say that you will sell it the way that the winning bidder wants. But if that is not an option, then I would go for selling it unlocked.

5. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Hey there. I sold my 2G on ebay jailbroken and unlocked. You usually get at least $100 more this way. I got a little over 400 with international shipping included. If you don't want the hassle of ebay or you think you might get scammed...(people try it all the time with these phones), you can try out FreeiPhoneSwap.com. Cnet Reviewed it here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13544_3-10005306-35.html

You won't get as much as you would on ebay or CL, but it is assured money.

6. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

The prices of the 1 & 2G iphones still astonishes me. I was hoping once the 3G came out, they'd be fairly cheap. I wanted an el Cheapo 4GB for under $300, and the only ones selling for that price look like someone mistook their phone for a hammer. Ebay definitely looks like a good place to make some money.

7. applehappy macrumors regular

Selling 1st gen iphone is the tech deal of the century

I sold my year-old 1st gen iPhone for $430 on ebay just last week. I listed it as Unlockable and that they should let me know if they wanted it unlocked. The buyer did, so I unlocked in and shipped it out. Make sure and do a secure wipe!!

Previous poster questions ebay, but if you use PAYPAL I don't see how you can get scammed. I had the money transferred to my bank account prior to shipping!

So, I upgraded my phone for $200 and sold my old one for $430. What a deal. Also, Apple allows discounts on the 3G plans, so I get a 15% break as a government employee!!

8. codyPT macrumors newbie

what to do before selling?

What does the process of selling 1st Gen. iPhone looks like? Do I have to remove my sim? Should I deactivate the phone with ATT before selling? Anything else a seller should know? Thanks