Best TV Show of All Time: Drama

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barr08, Jun 13, 2010.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

We have some pretty good discussion on this board regarding television programs. I find people give a lot of good recommendations on current shows to watch, and my TV opinions often coincide those of other the other users on this forum.

I love television as an art form, and a major gauge of modern culture. I consider the TV show a far superior way to tell a story over movies. I like that TV series allow much deeper character development and room for interesting story lines due to less of a time constraint. I am always wondering what people generally consider to be the best show that has every graced the small screen.

I know we have a thread similar to this one that ranks TV shows based on number of suggestions, but I am thinking of something a little different. While that thread is mostly for active shows, most of the TV shows that I consider on the top echelon have already ended. The resolution of a show is very important in how the show is remembered and regarded. Of course, an active show is definitely not off the table.

I want to limit this discussion to TV dramas for now. Comedies are slightly harder to nail down due to highly varying comedic tastes. If people are interested in this discussion, we can start a comedy one, too.

The following are some of the shows that I think are in the running. I have seen most of these series in their entirety, and consider them to be as close to art as scripted, pre-recorded acting can be:

The Sopranos
    Deadwood
    Battlestar Galactica (2004)
    Mad Men
    The Wire
    Twin Peaks
    Breaking Bad
    Six Feet Under

On the cusp:
    Lost
    The West Wing
    The X-Files
    Northern Exposure

Anyone have any comments / any series to add? My list is limited because I tried to only put shows I have seen.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Band of Brothers
    Homicide: Life on the Street

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The X Files
    The Prisoner (1967)
    Nowhere Man
    The Outer Limits (1963)
    Babylon 5

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm a fan of several of the shows so far listed, and I'd like to see some of these shows (esp. The Wire) that I haven't yet had a chance to.

But if I had to pick one, yeah, Homicide. What a great show that was. Great cast all around, but Andre Braugher as Det. Frank Pembleton has to be one of the best roles ever.

We don't watch a lot of dramas, so I'm having a hard time coming up with any (and certainly not many recent shows). I have fond memories of "Hill Street Blues" and "St. Elsewhere" from my youth, but I don't know how well they would hold up re-watching now.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Have you watched The Shield? That show was excellent...

P-Worm

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Lost
    it would be a no-brainer if it wasn't for the disappointing serie's finale, but it still is quite comfortably the best show i have ever seen on TV.

the show one for which i have ever anticipated a season or that had me adjust my schedule.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

band of brothers was great. so was BSG. I would add Fringe in there too as I just think it's superb.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Homicide was great; I think I need to re-watch the series. . We don't get quality TV like that often.

I also loved Hill St. Blues and St. Elsewhere. I've watched episodes of both on Hulu and they have held up well. Quality drama usually does.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I really need to get that on Netflix and watch it... I'm glad this thread brought it up; I'd forgotten all about it.

11. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The Wire.

And it's not that close. All of the other series mentioned above had at least one so-so season to slog through. "The Wire" is consistently excellent all the way through.

And I can't believe someone mentioned "Entourage" as a drama. Or "best" for that matter. :confused:

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh, and Dexter. how could I forget that. one of few shows to ever give me the chills.

13. ibbieta macrumors member

It is in a class all its own.

14. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I actually have yet to see this series, but I mentioned it because I have heard nothing but glowing reviews. I have to watch that next. I've held off because I'm not too big into the whole police show thing, but I heard it transcends the genre.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Drama? Really? Great show but not the best DRAMA show of all time.

My vote is for breaking bad. If anyone saw the season finale last night I don't know how you couldn't vote for that show. Its unbelievable

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously?

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Top 10 TV Dramas of all time (in no particular order):

Battlestar Galactica (2004)
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    Babylon 5
    Lost
    Rome
    NYPD Blue
    Dr Who
    Gilmore Girls
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    X-Files

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The West Wing (particularly the first three seasons)
    Six Feet Under

I would say Weeds, but it’s more of a comedy.

19. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

THE WIRE. Seriously none of the other shows are even in the same ballpark. Best TV show of all time.

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Each season is focused on a different theme - The drug trade, the unions, politics, education, and the media.

So you essentially get a growing cast of characters and a world that is more intricate and expansive than any other show I've seen. Epic to say the least.

21. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

My feelings exactly. My previous "best show ever on TV" was Dexter but then I started watching Lost from season 1 about 4 months ago and was more addicted than I've been to any show. Finale was fine for me but way too many questions went unanswered.

22. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Charmed! No...but seriously my vote goes for Lost as well^^.

23. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat