Best U.S. iPhone 5 model for overseas use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ellsass, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Ellsass macrumors member

In the past, AT&T's GSM model has been the phone to have when traveling overseas (especially Europe) since you can just pop in a local SIM. But according to this chart, it looks like Verizon might be better suited. The LTE bands 1, 3, and 5 are listed for both Verizon and Europe, but AT&T's 4 and 17 aren't found anywhere else.

Does this mean I'll have better luck using the Verizon model with European SIMs (assuming I can unlock it and find nano SIMs)?

Also, if I get Verizon's model, will I still be able to connect to 3G GSM networks, or am I stuck with CDMA wherever LTE coverage isn't available?

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Yes, assuming it has a SIM slot, the US CDMA model is the best "world phone" for LTE.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, I noticed that earlier. It appears that the Verizon and Sprint models will be better for overseas LTE compatibility. Canada is another story (AT&T is better there). Another advantage is that Verizon and Sprint will unlock the SIM slot (for non-US use only) after 60 or 90 days, while AT&T makes you wait until the phone is off contract before unlocking it.

All the models support DC-HSDPA and HSPA+, which is far more common in Europe than LTE.

4. Ellsass thread starter macrumors member

Great. And if I'm in an area of Europe that has 3G but no LTE coverage, I'm still good with the Verizon model, right?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... big no

That would be the GSM A1429 model. Check Apple's site.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

They all support HSPDA+ so yes.

----------

Explain? The CDMA model supports the most LTE bands and shares some with the European model.