Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I have Apple Care Plus for my black 32gb factory unlocked iPhone and my lock-screen button has failed. I talked to a genius and they said that the Apple store will replace my phone on the spot. So anytime I want I can get pretty much get my phone revived to a new one by replacement. Now I would get a 5S but if the trade-in value isn't worth it, I'll just wait for the 6 or next iteration of the iPhone.

Paid around $830 for it and I'm searching the best route to obtain the most value that will go towards the new phone.

T-mobile trade in offers $303 ... peanuts
Gazelle offers $320 ... peanuts
Craigslist goes around ~$550 ... ok, average but will want a little more and don't want to get shanked
eBay completed listings bounce between $550-$800 ... this is great but what if the buyer claims some ******** delivery issue?

So what do you guys think? Please share your experience on the best way to achieve maximum value for your 5.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have Apple Care Plus for my black 32gb factory unlocked iPhone and my lock-screen button has failed. I talked to a genius and they said that the Apple store will replace my phone on the spot. So anytime I want I can get pretty much get my phone revived to a new one by replacement. Now I would get a 5S but if the trade-in value isn't worth it, I'll just wait for the 6 or next iteration of the iPhone.

Paid around $830 for it and I'm searching the best route to obtain the most value that will go towards the new phone.

T-mobile trade in offers $303 ... peanuts
Gazelle offers $320 ... peanuts
Craigslist goes around ~$550 ... ok, average but will want a little more and don't want to get shanked
eBay completed listings bounce between $550-$800 ... this is great but what if the buyer claims some ******** delivery issue?

So what do you guys think? Please share your experience on the best way to achieve maximum value for your 5.

No offense, man, but all those prices look very reasonable for a 32gb iPhone 5.

Just because you paid top dollar, doesn't mean someone else will now. Too many iPhones on the market. Look at it this way... if you got the phone for upgrade pricing, you'd have paid 300 bucks for it, and if you got 303 from T-Mobile, would that not seem like a reasonable offer?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Seller goals: maximize highest selling price

Buyer goals: maximize lowest buying price

capital markets determine prices

Apple care is really only worth 20-40 cents on the dollar for your return.

EBay remember to subtract about 7-10% from fees and shipping plus risks.

Someone selling for $600 may be netting about $540.

I don't believe somone would pay $800 for 32gb iPhone 5 when they can get brand new for $750 plus taxes unless its international buyer or scammers trying to ruin your sales.

And how motivated are you? To be honest. The going prices for used 32gb even with apple care will be $450-500 on most Craigslist hard cash.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Seller goals: maximize highest selling price

Buyer goals: maximize lowest buying price

capital markets determine prices

Apple care is really only worth 20-40 cents on the dollar for your return.

EBay remember to subtract about 7-10% from fees and shipping plus risks.

Someone selling for $600 may be netting about $540.

I don't believe somone would pay $800 for 32gb iPhone 5 when they can get brand new for $750 plus taxes unless its international buyer or scammers trying to ruin your sales.

And how motivated are you? To be honest. The going prices for used 32gb even with apple care will be $450-500 on most Craigslist hard cash.

But on ebay under completed listings, people are really buying it for that. Thats what boggles my mind. Damn even one of them had a bad emie like wtf??

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...32gb+factory+unlocked+new&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I guess it makes sense. Btw it is considered a brand new phone because im getting it replaced if i go through selling it. Otherwise it will stay broken on its lockscreen buttone because I have it jailbroken.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
But on ebay under completed listings, people are really buying it for that. Thats what boggles my mind. Damn even one of them had a bad emie like wtf??

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...32gb+factory+unlocked+new&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I guess it makes sense. Btw it is considered a brand new phone because im getting it replaced if i go through selling it. Otherwise it will stay broken on its lockscreen buttone because I have it jailbroken.

If you look closely at the sold phones. The guy who sold 4 phones for $999. Look at the 4 people who purchased them. Those buyers had almost zero ebay history with 0 or 1 total ebay purchases. Those are scam buyers ruining the sales.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I Say craigslist is your best bet. I have sold my last 3 on craigslist. just have them meet you somewhere public.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Craigslist is your best bet. Either that or put it on eBay for around $530-550 buy it now pricing.

Trade in sites don't payout extra for larger storage sizes or brand new phones.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Your value is going to plummet a lot more for the next iteration. If you think you're getting close to max value, think again.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Remember the new iPhone 5C (and obviously the 5S) support all 3 LTE bands on T-mobile, Verizon, and ATT.

Unless you have a April 2013 or newer iPhone 5 (that supports T-mobile 1700/2100) HSPA plus bands, the "older iPhone 5) "factory unlocked" used iPhone 5 aren't going to get you top dollar.

Or unless area is reframed for 1900 T-mobile HSPA, your audience of buyers is much less.

I'll tell you this, savvy buyers want the 32GB iPhone 5 for between 350-400 these days. They may settle for 400-450 on craigslist.

Also the "brand" new iPhone 5C 32GB retails for $650. So you are looking at around $600 ebay selling price ($540 net selling price).

Those are the price points in this market

deraj090

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010

Shouldn't be a problem. Ship it domestically only, with insurance, delivery confirmation and mandatory signature requirement. Your buyer won't be able to claim any bogus delivery issues.

Jnyce

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Using Gamestop and their 30% more on trade in towards the PS4 and Xbox One offer. I know it is store credit but hey if I can use my 5 and 4S to pay for my systems with no money out of pocket that is a win. 433 for the 5 and 230 for the 4S both are mint plus 30% :D

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
I sold my 5 on eBay last week for $550 (buy it now, paypal only, no returns) + $16 for shipping. It's a 64gb. Quick instant sale that made me $541. I'm getting a 64 5s for $420something after taxes. I made it very clear that the phone would be shipping out on the 21st. So a new phone and a hundred bucks in my pocket. Just sell it for $549 soon because the longer you wait, the less you'll get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.