Best version of Ubuntu (or any other Linux) for Macbook Pro 6,2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulius005, Mar 27, 2012.

1. paulius005 macrumors newbie

I have done an SSD update and do not have a CD drive currently in my macbook. I attempted to install ubuntu a few times unsuccessfully using a few different methods. Including just trying to boot from the flash drive which did not work because the macbook wouldn't recognize it when choosing boot devices.

Has anyone successfully installed any version of linux onto a MacbookPro6,2 without the use of an optical drive?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you have OS X installed?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Are you using the iso image?

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I think it should be possible.. the thing is that the Mac's EFI boot-loader doesn't like the legacy BIOS boot-loader that's present on the majority of Linux USB-images. What I believe should work is if you create a USB-disk with an EFI loader (such as ELILO) and try to boot using that (unfortunately I do not have any guide for doing so).

A couple of links of a google search to help you on your journey:
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7942#post63731
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/bios2uefi/

5. paulius005 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using an iso. And I tried the EFI loader, it began to install and just ended up freezing overtime it said the may take a minute. So I was able to boot with the EFI, but it was never successful.

I am running OS X 10.7.3

6. paulius005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also the links to the tutorials on the neosmart website do not seem to work.