Best VoIP 3G & Wi-Fi, iPad (2) as a phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bheleu, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Back when I started researching the first iPad, I learned about the UL plans and VoIP and ended up getting two iPads with UL data with the hopes of one day killing my prepaid phone, and my wife's.

I ended up using iCall on mine, but the service was so unreliable I did not sign my wife up for it. It was good enough for my usage, as I hate talking on the phone anyways. It added $10/mo to my bill. I always gave out my google voice number and linked it to icall in case ever changed to something better.

Today I finally found out about Talkatone. The free portion was no better on 3G (both icall and talkatone uncompressed want the extra bandwidth to work reliably), but went ahead and tried the 14 day premium that has the compression routines for 3G and the difference is night and day. The huge advantage is the person on the other end does not hear that echo that is prevalent with icall usage without the headphones (iPad 2 still has that issue).

One other benefit is TAT will pop up immediately instead of loading like IC, though TAT has the nuiance of requiring you to have one running app in the task manager background (less people giving up calling you). It also uses your existing GV number.

Monthly cost is $2/mo, $20/yr, so TAT wins over IC there too. Going to keep my trial going, but so far it looks like I will be closing out my IC account.

Both services I believe do not work with Bluetooth, left my BT at home today or I would verify it.

What do you use on the iPad (2), for your VoIP?

2. joesegh macrumors regular

I use Skype on iPhone and iPad and it's pretty great.

3. Bheleu thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you like about Skype, price, functionality? What quirks and limits have you found?

Thanks!

4. Bheleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Holy Awsomeness!!!!!

TAT works on my stereo Bluetooth headset!
    Plantronics Backbeat for those curious, both earpieces and microphones, was able to leave the iPad 2 in the other room and maintain a conversation across 2-3 bars of 3G!!!

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Is there any advantage to using talkatone over just plain ol' Skype?

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Talkatone is free to call any phone number in USA and people who receive your calls will see a real number. Skype costs money in many cases, but the call quality is much better.

7. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Skype is hella cheap..
    So I guess gonna pay for quality !

8. kilidar macrumors member

I think the buit in microphone on iPad 2 is great ( better than iPad 1) makes skype-out calls very usable on the go.

9. Kathys macrumors newbie

Cool app!

For all of use who love our iPad as a phone, Freephoo is a cool app. Just download it from www.freephoo.com and get started instantly. there are no hidden charges and no start up fee... calls are free. you might even want to check out their premium pack which allows you to call international land lines and mobile phones. the rates are really affordable :)

10. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Line2

Interface is pretty straightforward, call quality is stellar, and rates are very affordable.