Best way for me to install ML on new SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matts290, Jul 31, 2013.

1. matts290 macrumors newbie

So I have read/seen the guides that tell you how to migrate/copy your current OS X install from your old HDD to you new SSD, this however requires a SATA to USB cable in which I don't currently have.

I do have an external 1TB hdd, plus of course the existing HDD with 10.8 and my new blank SSD.

Is there a way that I can copy OS X from my current HDD over to my external, then install my SSD and copy from my external to the SSD? I have tried looking up these methods, but they seem a little cloudy. There is one way to use my external HDD as a bootable recovery disk, but from my understanding this would require totally downloading 10.8 over again, which would be a huge pain since I am currently on my parents slow DSL connection

So basically what is the best method to go 10.8 on Current HDD -> External HDD -> New SSD

Thanks so much guys!

2. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Or is going to be easier and worth it just to go pick up a SATA to USB cable from best buy?

3. jahall05 macrumors regular

I would say buying the SATA cable is really the only way to do it. Some SSD's come with a way to migrate the data, but if not just buy one.

4. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to best buy and walmart, neither place had one. I can order one online but I would hate to wait more ha, anyone else know if its possible to do it with just an external?

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

It is possible, download Carbon Copy Cloner ver. 3.5.1 (demo mode without restrictions works for a month free, must pay after that). 1. Clone your internal HD to the external. CCC should pop up a window saying in effect "do you want to clone the recovery partition?" Do that using the Disk Center window. 2. Install your new SSD. 3. Clone the external back to the new internal SSD.
    Other factors may complicate things, size of the data on the present internal, etc., but that in general should work. .... "Should" I said, don't take exception if it doesn't ..... :D:cool::D

6. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys, I just ended up downloading 10.8 installer again from the App Store and them mounted the DMG on my external and booted from that and did a clean install on the new SSD.

PS this thing is blazing fast!

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'm jealous.

I'll be doing this eventually myself in the not too distant future.

8. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what your storage needs are, but keep an eye on the 120GB Samsung 840 on newegg, I got mine for 90 bucks shipped last week, it was on sale for 100 bucks and then had a 10% PROMO code.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I don't need it right this second. But I'm thinking that when I do, it'll be a 256gig one at least.