best way for updating 3GS 3.1.2 to ios 4.0 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by smashhell, Sep 4, 2010.

1. smashhell macrumors newbie

Hello, sorry if this is a repeated post. I have been away for a while and wanted to be sure on this.

I want to update my jailbreaken/unlocked 3GS 3.1.2 to ios 4.0.

What is the best way to do it ?

I do have Cydia show that "it has SHSHs on file for 3.1.2,3.1.3,4.0,4.0.1,4.0.2".

Thank you very much ! ;)

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Best would be if your phone is pwned at 3.1.2. Then, create or find (google) 4.0 custom firmware and just restore through itunes with that file.

If not pwned, download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware you want to downgrade to.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and firmware you can downgrade to.
    7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
    8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

For future reference when posting a question it's a huge help to provide as much information as is possible. The most important piece of information your left out was how you are JB.

4. smashhell thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh sorry I didn't know that is needed.

My 3GS is jailbreaked with blackra1n

ummmmm, what does pwned mean ? does it mean jailbreak ?

If it is, it means that I could just restore to ios 4.0 and still have jailbreak and unlock ?

Thank you all for the answers !

5. TheGodsInRed macrumors newbie

I just updated my girlfriends 3GS 3.1.2 (blackra1n) to iOS 4.0.1

I got the 4.0.1 software off the felixbruns website. Upgraded to the 4.0.1 file through iTunes (shift + click restore). Then jailbroke using JailbreakMe website on iPhone. Simple ;)

6. smashhell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the help !

I got it to work by just restoring to a ios 4.0 custom firmware !

The custom firmware comes with the jailbreak,then I just install UltraSn0w for the unlock.

Thank you all again !! :D

7. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

If you can use custom firmware, means your phone is pwned = run unsigned code. In the future, just continue to restore with custom firmware.