Best way stream media from HD to ATV 4 for under £100 ($150)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by alexcarter123, Dec 27, 2015.

1. alexcarter123, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

alexcarter123 macrumors member

So i currently have all my movies ripped to an external hard drive mainly in 1080p mp4 format and am currently using plex on my mac.

I'm wanting to stream them from my hard drive to ATV 4, without my mac having to be switched on and looking to spend no more than £100 on the hardware setup.

My two option are
    1. Buy a second hand 5th gen Airport Extreme and plug in the HD via USB and stream to MrMc/Nasify/InFuse - Would there be any issues with speed given that the USB is only 2.0?
    2. Buy the following NAS and insert my current hard drive and use as a plex server. I'm aware this is a low performance model, however seems to be the only one in my budget. Will it be able to stream my 1080p mp4 files smoothly?
    3. Any other reccomendations?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Gav2k, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Also in my experience USB 2.0 has minimal effect, because your scenario with AirPort Extreme is not a streaming. It's a file copy. And because aTV can do decent buffering ahead (depends on app btw!), you will be ok.
    PS the number of network fileshare-connecting apps in AppStore is also quite large by now. But some that I tested, had all discusting fooder-browsing UI.

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

I would start with the external hard drive option using the new MrMc/Nasify/InFuse apps and see if that works before adding a low-powered NAS to the mix.