Best way to add more USB 3.0 ports to the Macbook Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nib95, Jan 17, 2013.

1. nib95 macrumors newbie

In all honesty I've never actually needed more USB ports on any of my gear till now. 2 USB's is a joke. What's the best way to add some additional USB ports? Any particular USB hubs you guys recommend? Or is there one that connects to the thunderbolt port or anything like that?

Thinking of buying this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipset-Usp...1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1358452298&sr=1-2

Advice is much appreciated.

2. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

If going the hub way, depending on what youll be connecting , you might not erven need one with a power adapter. They tend to overcrowd the desk.

4. nib95 thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks lovely and all, but it's $299 lol. No chance in hell I'm spending that on a hub for a bit of extra connectivity.

I would prefer a hub without a power adapter though. Desktop is cluttered enough as is. Only thing's I'll be plugging in to the hub is a mouse, a graphic tablet, and maybe on the odd occasion a memory card reader (using a compact flash with DSLR photo's on it).

5. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

If that your need the TB dock from Belkin might be an overkill:D
    Do not know what else is on the marked since the one from Belkin were like it was made for me

6. nib95 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why would you need a USB 3.0 hub for those items?

8. Estes macrumors member

9. nib95 thread starter macrumors newbie

In case I do transfer photo's (potentially RAW) over using it. I'd want the data speeds USB 3 offers.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Does your camera have USB 3.0 out?

Currently the fastest SDHC & CF cards won't max out a USB 2.0 bus.

11. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

If you plan on plugging in anything other than USB flash drives, you will want a powered USB hub. The plugable brand hubs promise to provide power adapters that give adequate power to the hub. Some other hubs include cheaper lower power adapters, and when you do that the ports start dropping connections; not good if you were copying data onto a hard drive at the time.

I've tried the Uspeed 8-port and the Plugable 4-port on my 15" MacBook Pro Retina, and unfortunately I have not had good luck with either of them. Devices will sometimes disconnect and will not reconnect to the computer afterwards. On plugables website, they even say that they have some problems with MacBook Pro's with Retina display, and say it's a problem with Apple

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.