Best way to backup before selling my MacBook Air? Don't have the install discs on me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wangchunggti337, Apr 22, 2010.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I am most likely selling my MBA in the next few days and want to back everything up before I do so. I don't have a new mac yet to transfer everything on to so I need a way to put everything on an external drive that will retain my settings, iPhone backup, iTunes, iPhoto, and internet bookmarks. Is there a good way to do this?

I also don't have the install discs on me, so I won't be able to do a fresh install. What's the best way to prepare my machine for sale without being able to reinstall Mac OS X? Or should I hold out for the discs?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Clone to an external via Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper!. Hold out for the install discs.

3. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

4. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

You can use an external HDD and set it up with Time Machine. That's the easiest way to do it. Borrow if from a friend if you cannot afford it. When you get your new Mac, restore it from the time machine backup on the HDD you used.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hold out for the disks, or purchase a copy of Snow Leopard for $30 and install that.