Best way to backup entire Mac HD with Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by lukester, Oct 31, 2018.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I am trying Aconis true image 2019 which does just that.. It makes a compressed image of the entire drive plus it updates it on a schedule and makes a bootable partition . Still not sure if this is the best way to go. only $39.
    I have used TM for incremental Mac backup but my windows partition was neglected.

I do have an older version of CCC and Winclone that I have used in the past. However I will need to purchase the newer versions which will cost about $70 for both programs, plus it means two separate formats for both backups, but that may have advantages??

The bad thing about the Acronis backup is you cannot access any files like on TM or CCC. But its convenient and takes less space for backups. I think about 20% less or more.

I dont feel like using a cloud server,, Im cheap I guess.

Any suggestions? thanks

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

I would recommend getting a clean external disk and due a test restore of the Acronis backup to the external drive. The test restore will verify that you can actually restore everything if needed.

3. lukester, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Why have you heard it may not work?

I just looked at the reviews on amazon.. yeah 8 reviews, 3 bad ones.... I dont have a way of trying it out,, no extra HD

I am using the trial version and just found out that the restore feature is not enabled on the trial version.. Duhh.. great trial.. that's retarted. What are they hiding?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

I have not heard anything good or bad, but I would not feel comfortable with only having a backup with new software (new to you) unless I know it will work to restore everything you need.

I have not used Acronis, but I have looked at the instructions on their website and they seem a little convoluted and they seem to push subscription services. I just looked at their site and the one time buy is $49 for True Image 2019 for one computer. The yearly subscription was $39. It seems you would have to pay $49 or $39 to find if it really works for your needs.

I have not noticed any other Acronis threads on MacRumors about how wonderful Acronis works. The Amazon reviews are too few to judge. Maybe try searching MacRumors for Acronis to see if anybody here has some thoughts. If something is good or bad then usually there will be posts here.