Best way to block Mac use at night for OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarkCollette, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I'd like to block use of my computer during night time, so people don't stay up late on it. Unfortunately it's running an old version of OS X (10.4.11) and can't run a newer version. The parental controls don't seem to include time restrictions. Firefox is limited to 3.6 with this version of OS X. Even if the whole computer can't be blocked, at least blocking the Internet access, or browser access, would be better than nothing. It's a house-hold communal desktop computer, so physically removing it every night would be sub-optimal.

The only thing I've found that looks like it could work at all is Net Nanny, which is a paid program. I'll think about getting that if no one can suggest anything else.

The people in question are not technically savvy, so it doesn't have to keep out black hats or something :p They know they shouldn't be on, so it seems more an issue of their personal will power. Hopefully you guys can help them.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As you've observed, the Parental Controls are limited in Tiger. So you other options involve some kind of lengthy script or a third-party solution.
    Your router may allow configuration to restrict times on it -- you'll need to access its web-based control panel by typing in its IP address in your browser, e.g. http://192.168.1.1 or similar.

Perhaps you could remove the power lead? While they may be able to replace it with another from somewhere else, this may create obvious signs of usage and it is one further step in the direction of "doing wrong" that might give pause for thought. Or perhaps remove the router's power brick, which isn't so easily replaced.

Can I ask what sort of "people" are these? Children? Student lodgers?

Sometimes, the best solutions to these sorts of problems aren't technological. ;)

3. MarkCollette thread starter macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll follow up with the router next. Generally I'd never even consider anything like this, if the people themselves hadn't expressed disappointment at the results of their lack of self-control.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Perhaps you could add a switch to your residence which would remove the earth ground at night. Then when your "people in question" try to use the computer, the keyboard should give them a nice little jolt.

5. MarkCollette thread starter macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Thanks, I took your suggestion a step further and flooded whole swathes of our province, so there'd be no electricity for anyone to get distracted on the Internet. Seems to have worked for a couple days at least.

6. pen-helm macrumors newbie

OS X 10.4.11 net nanny software

"Safe Eyes" no longer works with Tiger, as of a week ago. ContentBarrier X5 works with Tiger, but I'm not sure it's still purchaseable, and they've stopped updating the blocked-site information for it.

If anyone knows something that will work with Tiger, please let us know.