Carrier Best way to buy an unlocked iPhone 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KWarp, Sep 10, 2015.

1. KWarp macrumors newbie

KWarp

Planning to buy a 6S. I live in California with AT&T as my service provider. In 6 months, I will be on vacation in South Africa. I want to be able to buy a SIM card, so it seems that buying the 6S unlocked is the way to go.

What are my choices for buying an unlocked phone?

Google search isn't very clear about this. I know I can buy the 6S unlocked from the Apple Online Store. Probably what I'm going to do. Does AT&T sell unlocked iPhones directly?

2. My Precious macrumors newbie

What about this approach?

Buy an ATT phone, but with a 2-year contract. Yeah, you'll be out $199 - $299 initially. THEN, use T-Mobiles's offer to pay Termination Fees to switch you over. ATT termination fee is $325 or less, but after paying that fee you get to keep the phone. Tmobile doesn't have contracts, so cancel whenever you leave for SA. Heck, come-back to ATT when you return.

Doing the quick math -- pay say $299 for a 64MB model, pay $325 for early term fee (which Tmobile will reimburse you for), then you have a 64mb phone not for $850 but only $299.

Anyone see any concerns?

3. mactumors macrumors 6502

You have to trade-in your phone and buy a new phone from T-Mobile for T-Mobile to pay your ETF.

4. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I was talking to apple representative today and they were suggesting the iPhone upgrade program, you get unlocked iPhone without paying full price upfront. And apple is offering pay in full options for all carriers, I believe the phones will come unlocked, at least for T-Mobile I suppose.

5. My Precious macrumors newbie

I don't think so. Help me out here -- isn't that a different option, their "Device payment plan", whereas I'm referring to T-Mobile's incentive around Early Termination Fees (ETF). Snippet from their website (http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html):

Limit one offer per line (device payment plan or ETF reimbursement)​

6. 617aircav Suspended

Just buy the att phone at full price from Apple. Even if it's not unlocked att will unlock it for you.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Buy the T-Mobile version full price from Apple or use the Apple financing if you don't want to pay it all upfront. Either way the phone is unlocked.