Best way to buy new 3G IPhone? Apple vs. AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokeydays, May 28, 2008.

1. hokeydays macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Newbie here. I am a current Sprint customer w/o contract. I am going to buy a new IPhone when the new ones come out.

What is the best/easiest way to buy a new phone? I am not the type to stand in line (for anything). If the rumors are true about AT & T discounting the new phones by $200, then would the purchase need to be made at AT & T? Also, can I call AT & T and buy the phones over the phone?

Were the original phones able to be purchased over the phone? If so, why did people stand in line for hours (just to get them immediately?)? I can wait a week for shipment if it saves having to wait in line. Do you get any better deals if you guy at the store vs. calling AT & T to order?

Any other tips are appreciated. June 9 (?) will be here before we know it and I want to be ready.

Thanks.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Over the phone? The iPhone can be ordered directly from the Apple or AT&T website. This was the case on launch day last year. If you don't feel like standing in line and can wait a few days for shipping, order from the website.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was with Sprint for 10 years and I've been with AT&T 4+ years. You don't need to stand in line for the new v2 iPhone, (just don't plan on buying on the day of release). Not sure about the "discounting" of anything iPhone, b/c AT&T doesn't discount anything iPhone, nor does Apple for that matter. We'll see when it comes out. You can call AT&T via the phone, but it takes a few days for shipping. I think purchasing via phone or online takes all the excitement out of picking one up at the Apple Store or AT&T Store and then jumping on iTunes and activating it yourself immediately in the parking lot! Sometimes there's a better deal online, but I haven't seen it yet regarding the iPhone. No corporate discounts on anything iPhone, including their accessories. :cool:

4. neven macrumors 6502a

You most likely won't have to stand in line unless you go to an Apple store in the first hour or two when they come out.

My opinion is that there will be no $200 discount. If there is, we don't know what the terms will be. Maybe you'll have to go through AT&T. Maybe not.

I think AT&T will gladly sell you anything over the phone.

That is exactly why they waited in line. Welcome to Apple :)

No. By the way, ordering online is a much, much better deal than ordering over the phone, unless you like having your time wasted on being upsold.

Don't expect the new iPhone to go on sale on June 9. We'll most likely get the final shipping date on the 9th, but that date will likely be June 27 or so.

Unless something odd happens, you should walk down to the Apple store a few hours after the launch and pick one up. The purchase will take less than a minute, and you'll be able to set up and activate the phone yourself, at home. If there's no Apple store around, hit apple.com and order one there.

Good luck!

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

If the first round is any indicator, then going through AT&T is going to be the easier route. People waited for many hours at Apple stores to get something that was readily available after the line cleared that day. There were plenty.

People who went to AT&T stores had little or no wait. Basically, it comes down to far more AT&T stores than Apple stores plus, many of the Apple-store-waiters wanted to be there for the 'experience.' Yes, there were a lot of people who wanted to be the very first people they knew to have an iPhone. Some people have to be that way even though it may only last for days or weeks. We know what happened to those people. They got to pay an early-adopter tax when Apple discovered they weren't selling enough at that price point and then lowered the price. Apple now has lots of experience on what the market will bear with the iPhone. It's very doubtful we'll see their pricing mistake replayed again.

You want easy. That wouldn't be the easy route. Sure, once the phone is officially released on that day you can call AT&T's mail-order store or even order online. They will normally ship out that phone within 24 hours with a no-charge 2-day ship. That would be the easiest. Next in line would be to just wander down to AT&T that evening and pick one up. You shouldn't have any problems.

The iPhone hasn't been discounted by anyone... supply and demand. The only discount you'll see is what's presently being offered with the refurbished models or the outdated lesser-memory models.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

To that I'd add that the AT&T store will most likely try to talk you into activating the phone right then and selling you accessories, an added text messaging plan, maybe a phone for your family...

The Apple store should be no busier the day after launch, and it's a much friendlier and more fun place.

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I really don't think you would have to wait in any lines, unless as soon as Steve announced and said FOR SALE NOW you ran down to the apple store. If there is a subsidy (please God let it be) you probably would have to go through AT&T. I would not order one over the phone though, just seems to much of a hassle when you can get one immediately at your apple store, at&t store, or even online. Good luck and have fun!

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

But remember we have a ton of iPhone owners that aren't near an Apple Store, or an AT&T Store, so online or the phone are their only viable options. :(

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

When I got my phone at the AT&T store they practically pushed me out of the store. They said they can't activate it on-site and I'd have to do that at home. I bought in December and they should have had accessories by then in the store but mentioned nothing at all. They didn't seem to be able to upsell anything to me so they didn't want me there.

I have to agree that the Apple store is a very nice place to be. I enjoy stopping in when I'm around one. I doubt they'll be overly ingratiating on release day. They'll have enough to do. Whenever I've gone it's been on a quiet mid-week evening.

10. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Since no one knows what the pricing will be, who will be selling them, and when they will be available, it might be best of ask your question after the phone has been released and then people might be able to tell you about who is best. You might be able to buy your iPhone from Amazon... who knows?

11. Xjett macrumors member

I doubt as well that AT&T will be discounting the phone. I like to think that if they didn't subsidize the first iphone (which at debut was $600) they won't be subsidizing this one. Then again who knows. If they do, and the terms are reasonable, and they allow me (seeing as I am already under contract with AT&T) then I will buy it from them. I remember going to my local Apple store the next day after all the lines died out and bought an iPhone no problem. They had the back of the store lined with iPhones top to bottom. In and out in 5 minutes. Now activating it was a whole other story. I hope AT&T learned their lesson and sharpened up their activation servers for the 3G iPhone.

12. JUNNEL20 macrumors member

I suggest going directly to Apple or Apple's website. Or, you can try buying from the AT&T website and hope that they have it in stock.... but you'll probably end up with an AT&T bag delivered in 2 days. ;)

13. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I believe AT&T might have a longer return policy than Apple, which doesn't really come into play if you're dead set on having one. Otherwise I think the options are the same, one is just more exciting than the other.

14. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Nope..ATT has the same return policy for Apple products as Apple. 14 days, 10% restock fee if the box has been opened.

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If there is no price savings by using AT&T, use Apple.com if you plan to purchase via internet. AT&T (as proven with the refurb sales) has issues fulfilling orders for some reason. Apple on the other had has a great handle on product management. I will probably purchase on Apple.com first and then make a trip down to the store to pick it up. I want two, but don't want to count on the store having it just in case they don't.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Like others have said, if one is somehow cheaper over the other, go for it

If not, I go with the closer store

I have a few close AT&T stores around me that I went to for the original iPhone and was happy with the service