best way to clean screen (free of fingerprints)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dereklai., Mar 27, 2011.

1. dereklai. macrumors member

anyone have some insight as to how we can best rid the screen of smudges, etc.?

2. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

I use a microfiber towel from costco. They come in bags of 15 and are yellow and blue. They are sold for cars but work great on the iPad.

3. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I use a microfiber cloth as well. I got a box of 3 blue cloths really cheap when Circuit City was closing their stores for bankruptcy. They are a good size too---about 1.5 times the size of the iPad screen, and I've just used the same cloth for about two years or so for my MacBook, iPhone, and camera, and I just wash my cloth in the sink with soap or in my laundry when I think it's getting dirty.

4. dereklai. thread starter macrumors member

how do y'all feel about windex? or any other cleaning fluids for that matter?

5. ksz macrumors 68000

Try the Monster ScreenClean kit that includes a residue-free solution and microfiber cloth. It works very well on any smooth glass surface and is truly residue free. A bit expensive around $20. There may be lower cost competing products, but the Monster product works so well and lasts a long time so $20 is not an issue for me.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nah, it might mess up the anti-fingerprint coating on the screen.
    I would just use water if I were you. But thats only necessary if your screen isn't limited to fingerprints. As in, you were eating and using your iPad at the same time. Otherwise, you really only have finger prints to worry about which can be cleaned off easily by a microfiber.

7. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

I agree with ksz, the Monster cleaner works very well. But...if you guys have purchased a Mac, that black cloth that comes with them works PERFECTLY. I love that cloth.

8. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Windex

I used windex from day 1 with my original iPad and I had that from the day they launched But that was with a screenwriter on. On my new ipad2 I don't think I'm using screen protector the feel of screen feels so much better I had my new iPad for about a week now and I'm not getting any prints or if there there ther not as noticeable as my first iPad

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would assume such a cloth would come for the iPad as well.

10. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Microfiber

Yes why wouldn't apple include a microfiber cloth when I bought my daughter ipad1 back in October got it from bb there was a cloth in the box.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Fingerprints on an iPad are like bedbugs. You can try to get rid of them, but they'll be back. Why bother with special cloths and fancy sprays? 2 passes with a t-shirt are no more or less temporary a solution.

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Yes, you said that already. And I think you forgot to add your spam link.

13. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Microfiber cloth is all you need. No fluid at all.

14. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

I use the iKlear kit. It comes with two bottles of the cleaning solution and three different kinds of microfiber cloths. Great value, great cleaning power. It's what they use in the apple stores also

15. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I've found licking the screen gets rid of the fingerprints.

But then I get tongue prints.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

17. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Dry microfibre (<- Canadian spelling) cloth. The iPad screen is glass with a special coating to allow oil to be removed easily. No chemicals required or advised. Now if you get BBQ sauce from your chicken wings all over the screen, dampen a small spot of the microfibre cloth with warm water and use that to cut some of the grease.

18. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

If it's good enough for my Coupe it's good enough my iPad/Toys.

I also use Pledge Multi-Surface.

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's all about the T-shirt for me. Or my pants. Which every one I can get more slack on to wipe the screen. It does the job and I save money with screen care products that aren't necessary.

20. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I use the cloth that came with my MacBook pro. Works like a charm.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Aside from damage which can happen using the wrong cleaner on a particular material, the iPad (and iPhones) have the oleophobic coating - something worth protecting. Apple's official word (btw, it's in the manual...):

Cleaning iPad
    To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/ Wake button, then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. The iPad screen has an oleophobic coating; simply wipe the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I sanded off my fingerprints so no smudges on the iPad!

23. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I use a slightly damp (just a bit of regular old water) cloth. Sometimes a slightly damp paper towel. Nothing special. Fingerprints come right off.

24. Fataliya macrumors newbie

So far I've found that a regular old sock works, lol.

I have one of my daughter's socks in my purse and just whip it out when it needs a clean.

It's cheap, and doesn't take up a lot of room. :)

25. fishmoose macrumors 68000

iKlear is the real winner, cleans all screens really well. I use that on all my electronics.