Best way to "clear" my old iPhone for sale.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rooskibar03, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Needless to say Friday almost on us and the old iPhone needs to make way for the new one. With that said, should I be okay with a factory restore before I put it up for sale, or is it like selling a HD.

Do I need to wipe it somehow? Would unlocking it make it more or less secure from my end?

2. eggplant macrumors newbie

I'd wait till the new firmware comes out as it is reported to have a secure erase function for your data.

Jailbreaking/unlocking would make it less secure for you since the other person will find it easier to access the filesystem.

3. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

magnet... no really eggplant is correct. fw 2.0 will have a secure erase

4. Emilio G macrumors regular

Sort of the same question...

I'm wanting to give my iPhone to my wife when I pick up the 3G but I want to erase it completely before I do. But here's the thing. I'm going to have her phone switched over to my old iPhone when I get my new one. Basically, when I leave the Apple store, i'll have my 3G iPhone with my number and my old iPhone will have her number.

Should I do a secure erase when I get home or should I do one before I take it over to the Apple store?

Either way is fine with me but I want to make sure she starts from scratch with my old phone when I give it to her.