Best way to condition the battery when new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So do I need to do anything special? I know that I've always been told you should run down the battery and fully charge it for the first few times, is that still true?

2. kenrobin macrumors regular

That's what I'm doing, but I don't know if its really necessary.

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I used mine off and on yesterday, and charged it to full last night. I'll run it down all the way throughout the day today.

4. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nothing to do when new, but let it run down to zero at least once a month for long term battery health.

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I think a lot of that are myths and legends.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

The newer batteries like to be frequently juiced and used. They don't need long discharge cycles. Plug your phone in as often as you can and use it. a lot!

8. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

As just about everyone else has posted, just use it and charge it when you can. No special needs with respect to the battery.

Well - back say 10 years, when NiCad batteries were the big thing, there were a lot of important things you needed to do as far as conditioning went. If you weren't careful, you could run into something called "memory" which would take your (say) 1 hour battery and make it into a 15 minute battery.

People that had electronic stuff back then did have to pay attention to battery charge/discharge cycles. That's where a lot of these stories come from.

Again, none of this applies to any half-way modern consumer electronics.

10. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Just use your phone and don't worry about the battery. Charge it when it needs it or you are gonna be away from a charging cable for awhile.

11. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Right but iPhone doesn't use NiCad. I know where the story's came from and why I think a lot of is a myth in regards to Li-Ion.

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Just pointing out for the younger set here that there are historical reasons for people having interest in how to keep their batteries working well.

To recap for all:

* Li-Ion - modern, no need to baby. This is the type of battery in consumer electronics today, including all of the iPhones/iPads etc.

* NiCad - old, outdated battery tech. Used only rarely these days. Does have memory effect and requires conditioning and smart usage by people.

14. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

It's just hard to break old habits ;). I just remember it was a must thing when getting a new device that you conditioned it the first few times.

I'm slowly pulling myself into modern battery attitudes ;) (I'm a bit OCD on battery stuff so it's hard to convince myself I don't have to do that with a new battery but I'm slowly going, well I can't find anything that actually tells you to do that. If it was so important, you'd find some battery guide suggesting you do).

Hey, at least I got over the mentality that you shouldn't charge your battery until you've mostly used it ;) (I think another relic from Ni-Cad).

15. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I know I do the same thing sometimes. :p