Best way to connect a Dell u2515h to a 2016 rMB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eggtastic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

So, I want to create a docking set up for my 2016 rMB. I've settled on a Dell u2515h since my desk is not that big and I set fairly close anyway. Plus the price is pretty good and its 1440p.

Now, I know I will need the usb-c adapter so I connect the rMB to the monitor via HDMI. My question is, is this the most ideal way? I am hearing the mini-display to display port is better? I just want something close to the retina screen and no stuttering on the Dell.

If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

2. undo2 macrumors newbie

I have a U2515H, using it with a 2012 MBP (mDP to DP). Here are some considerations:

1. Either adapter is going to do just fine; I've run the display at 60Hz with no problems over both the included DP cable and an HDMI cable (from a Windows laptop). If you're only driving the U2515H, I'd get whichever one is cheaper.
    2. The U2515H supports display daisy-chaining. There's a DP in, and a DP out. You can connect another display through the DP out port. Don't think that'll work over HDMI, so if you plan to use daisy chaining it'd be better to get a DP adapter.
    3. An HDMI adapter might be more flexible if you're wanting to connect to a TV or projector (most monitors these days have DP inputs)

tl;dr: If you think you might use daisy chaining, get a DP adapter. If you want flexibility for connecting to projectors and such, go for HDMI. Otherwise, get whatever's cheapest.

I wish I could use DP daisy chaining, but my 2012 doesn't support DP 1.2. IIRC machines after 2013 do support it.

3. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Thanks for the reply. I would only be using one monitor so daisy chaining would not be needed for my uses. I assume then just an HDMI connection would suffice?