Best way to copy a bunch of files from a windows machine...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, May 9, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I recently switched to Mac (MBP13). I have been using Pro Tools on a PC for years and years, so I have tons of sessions on my internal PC hard drive. I'd like to transfer them all to a Mac formatted external drive so I can use them with the MBP.

What would be the best way to do this. My PC won't be able to read or write to a mac formatted ext drive. Perhaps get an external drive formatted with FAT32, or maybe NTFS (I know Macs can read NTFS, though not write).

Can anyone think of a better way to do this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Macs can read and write to NTFS if you install something like NTFS-3G or MacFuse.

3. hypermog macrumors regular

If it's 2GB or less, DropBox is a pretty easy way to do it.

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

For me, the best way is the fastest, and the fastest for me is sharing files over a network. Gigabit Ethernet will trump FW800, USB2 easily.

Doesn't DropBox use the internet? Having a file uploaded then downloaded to move from one computer to another? Seems counter productive for two machines that are sitting beside each other.

5. GoyoNeuff macrumors member

6. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Agree if you have access to gigabit ethernet, enable fireshare and connect using smb to PC ip and watch the files fly.

You can use NTFS if its just for copying to Mac, you will need to reformat that drive if you want to use it as an external, either to FAT or HFS.

One other idea for a once off big transfer if you above options is desirable is to take the harddrive straight out of the PC and connect it to the Mac using an exclosure via USB/FW400/800.

Dropbox seems a bit silly, if its 2GB I assume he'd just use a flash drive lying around house?

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

This might sound like the best bet. Thanks! Dropbox would take way too long, and I have too many gb's worth of Pro Tools sessions to make this feasible.

Thanks again, I'll try this direct networking approach.

8. hypermog macrumors regular

1. DropBox is way more convenient than flash drives, just try it.
    2. I said DropBox would be the easiest way, not the fastest.
    3. DropBox uses LAN speed if both computers are on the same subnet.
    4. DropBox is great for some purposes; works between OS X and Windows with zero trouble; OP did not specify file size.
    5. Both computers don't have to be on for DropBox to work.