Best way to copy photos to 2nd iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac'nCheese, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have two imacs, one is 10 years old, the other 5. I wanted to make sure that all my iphotos pictures and videos from the old one is on the newer one. I don't want to just copy all of them from the old one and put them on the new one, that would waste too much space. My two questions are:

1. Under source on the iphoto window, it says Library...Last Roll...2008..Home Improvements...Videos....Recovered Photos....etc etc. If I just highlight Library and click copy, everything, even videos, will be copied, right? The library contains every single photo/video that all the other folders have?

2. Once I copy them to a external drive, when I hook that drive up to the other computer, will it automatically start importing to iphoto, giving me the choice to skip anything already on the newer imac.

I'm also going through other files on the old one and making sure I copy anything important to the newer one. Any hidden folders or places you can recommend me looking for any sort of document would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Import them all into iPhoto on your newer Mac, then use one of the duplicate photo removal apps. Saves you having to go through them manually.