Best way to cover up chamfer scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sheza, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I got the tiniest speck of silver on the chamfer today, just to the left of the front-facing camera. It annoys me because I always think there's a speck of dust there that I need to wipe away. I don't know how it happened either, I have a separate pocket for my iPhone. Nonetheless a pouch has been ordered.

I was thinking a dab of black sharpie ought to do the trick, since it's a tiny fleck it'll probably blend in to the naked eye. Am I right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

3. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

I dislike cases. They add bulk and ugliness.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Well scratches definitely do the latter too.

5. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I have a feeling in a couple months or even sooner we will see iPhone 5 repair kits with slate grey paint.

6. MrXiro, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Get a skin... like www.dbrand.com or anything like that. I bought a black back and red side in the leather pattern.

But I have a Diztronic case from Amazon on my iPhone 5 right now. It actually feels great and because the phone itself is so thin and light I barely notice that it is there. I really like the case I got too. It was only 12 bucks shipped.

7. cvconde macrumors newbie

The Sharpie works pretty well, but eventually get wiped off.

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Noted . . . Say, "Hello" to many more little friends.

9. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

If I had purchased the black (didn't, anticipating this exact issue) I would let the little dings accumulate a few months, and then refinish the entire chamfer with 1200 wet-or-dry and a Flitz polish job to produce a polished silver ring. Since the anodize on the sides and back is tougher and tend to be intact, it would be a great look.

Would look great if you know how. I know how.

What's a little annoying is, any engineer with the slightest knowledge of anodize finishes can see this would be a train wreck from day one. Can't understand why no one stood up to the design people who insisted on this foolishness of a sharp-edged chamfer.

10. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Black sharpie then rub off the excess just staining the nick. Worked like a charm for my mate

11. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

Well I'm coming from a Speck Pixelskin HD case on my iP4 - do you know of that case, and how much bulk it adds? Plus it was the hardest damn thing to get on and off, it's supposed to be flexible but it was solid and too tight. Could you tell me a bit more about your experience with the Diztronic case?

Hmm, taken into consideration. I'm sure by Dad would be able to do that. Whether I trust him to do it neatly however...

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Cerakote, damn near impervious and won't rub off without a chisel.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

14. MrXiro, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It's a really simple matte case simple cut outs and the edge around the screen is glossy. The case is a TPU but feels really nice and sturdy but soft to the touch. Nicest TPU I have ever seen to be honest. It's on amazon. Nearly all the reviews are 5 stars. They were all 5 star ones for the first 5 days after the iPhone was released. With the case on it is about as thick as a naked 4S but that's if you count the lip surrounding the face of the iPhone. It still feels super thin and if it added weight I can't tell cause its still a lot lighter than my 4S was.

Easy to remove too. I can pop my iPhone out in 5 seconds but it stays in when I need it to.

The only real negative is that the headphone jack opening is a bit small and won't fit headphones with jacks bigger than the standard white headphone jack. Like old school headphones where they have a thick round or square casing around the 3.5mm plug.
    Anything "made for iPhone" will fit fine though.

Definitely worth a look at least.

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Meanwhile, over at the head office of Sharpie ...

[​IMG]

16. PeterKG macrumors 6502

17. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I don't have any scratches yet, but I'm interested in how well this Birchwood pen will work.

If you guys get it and use it on your phone, can you post photos/reviews of how well it worked?

I'm keeping my phone naked except for when I toss it in my bag, in which case I have it in a ColcaSac sleeve, so I'm sure eventually I'll need a touch up.

18. luisn17 macrumors member

I have a small scratch that barely shows the aluminum so I'm also wondering if this pen works. Wish a company starts selling touch up pens.