Best way to erase Samsung 830 SSD on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Retzius, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Retzius macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new 13" Retina MBP i7/16/512 and love the weight factor.

I had a 2009 MBP that died from spilled lemonade. I had a Samsung 830 SSD inside.

My fiancee has the same 2009 MBP also and now I want install the Samsung SSD I had on my old MBP.

What is the best way to clean my SSD and transfer her content from her existing HDD?

I have read that disk utility does not work well for SSD's. It only adds zeros and takes up space, thereby decreasing performance. I did read I could turn on TRIM and in time, allow it to speed up.

My second option and best from my research/reading is to do a secure erase but that requires a windows laptop that I don't have. I don't even own windows 7.

I don't care about breached data because I'm not selling the SSD but rather giving it to my fiancee.

Please help, I have read and read, I just want to be sure of my best options?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When I put in a 512GB 840 Pro into my 2011 MBP, I booted from a USB Mavericks installer, ran Disk Utility and erased the disk before installing. I haven't had any performance slowdowns though.

It's safe to use Disk Utility to erase it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In that case, don't worry about erasing or reinstalling anything. Just pop the SSD into her machine then login to your account and use Migration Assistant to move her account and data over from her machine. Once that is done, login to her account and go to System Prefs Users & Groups and delete your account. Done.