Best way to extend signal on an Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sandman512, Dec 23, 2015.

1. sandman512 macrumors member

So, I have an Airport Extreme that I have been pretty happy with. Ideally, I would to like to extend the signal. What would be the most optimal way to achieve this? Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202056

Here is an Apple support doc that shows your options. Extending with wired is best and wireless next best. If your needs are not great you could use an Airport Express to extend.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

as Weasel said,
    wired to a second base station is best. If you can't run a wire, people seem to have good luck with ethernet over powerline extenders to get the signal to the remote base station.

4. sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have no experience with that specific model, but just in general these extenders seem to be really picky when used with other brands. I see a review one Amazon there from one person who could not get it to work with an Airport Extreme.

6. sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

LO, yeah i saw that. I'm going to see if I can get my Airport Express up and running, if not, I might try this.
    EDIT: But everyone else seemed to get it working an extreme.

7. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

You can connect to the satellite router (I use Airport Extreme to Airport Express) via a Powerline adaptor which uses the power sockets as LAN connection if you want a clean and hassle-free wired LAN.