best way to extend wireless via airport express and time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ynizipli, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ynizipli macrumors newbie

best way to extend wireless via airport express and time capsule

i live in a two storey house where i use my airport express to create a wireless network in the main floor, and time capsule to extend it in the upper floor, where my room is. i have like 16 mbps in the main floor, and 2-3 mbps in the upper floor after having speediest.

i used time capsule in the upper floor because i use wireless backup daily and don't want to put internet down while i im doin it and consequently my parent can have internet access in the main floor, am i right? or do i have make just the opposite in order to have a good internet speed?

secondly, while checking airport express wireless mode on airport utility, there is like 4 different type of radio mode(802 11n bg comp, 802 11n 2.4, 802 11n a comp, 802 11n 5ghz) which i have no idea what they mean

what do you recommend?

we have like iphone4, iphone 3g, mbookpro, ipad, ipad 2, samsung tv and a sony vaio laptop in the wireless network

thank you

2. ynizipli thread starter macrumors newbie

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

The best way to do this would be by connecting your TC and Express by a network-cable. But that might not be feasible giving your situation.

I find it strange that you have such a big wireless speed difference between the Express and the TC.

I assume internet is connected to your Express?

As for the wireless radio mode, in most of the times it is best to leave it on 'Automatic' as the Airport will try to make the best connection.

As far as I know, doing a wireless backup shouldn't put down internet. At maximum, the speed could become slower.

4. ynizipli thread starter macrumors newbie

first of all, thank you for your answer

i know the network cable would be the best solution, but its not possible to have it

about to internet speed while having the backup, when i do that, internet is almost down to the users connected to time capsule's wifi range, but nothing happen to the airport express, thats why i had to create a wifi with airport and extend with time capsule

i dont know why the internet speed is so different between two, but it is almost one quarter...