Best way to get 20GB of video off iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Dec 30, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

When 8.1.3 comes out I want to set my iPhone up as a new phone. Notes, data, contacts, photos and apps are all fairly straightforward to swap over but how do I go about getting the approx 20GB of videos off my phone and then back on again? I have used a WiFi transfer app in the past but it took *forever* and I really don't fancy going down that route again. I really want the quickest method. The videos are in my camera roll and I would rather not use iTunes if at all possible.

2. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

iTunes backup is your best bet, iFunbox may work but it can be a pain to extract individual files. If you have a Mac, iPhoto also works.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It's just that I want to set my phone up as new and therefore not use a back-up. At present they are all stored in iCloud and I will be putting them back there once the clean install set-up has all been completed.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You can access the camera roll like a USB drive if you just plug the phone in and go to My computer. Copy and paste

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Never thought of that, and I did it with some photos years ago before the cloud!
    Thanks for the reminder.:cool:

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

You can copy photos and videos off of the phone this way, but you cannot add photos or videos to the phone this way. They copy to the phone and everything appears like it worked, but they never actually shows up in the photos app.

I've used an app called photosync to copy photos from a computer back to the camera roll, but it does go over wifi, so it might not be super quick.

7. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Can you AirDrop the videos on to a computer, then AirDrop them back on to the new phone? I believe AirDrop works over Bluetooth as opposed to Wifi so it should be a faster transfer.

8. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

Wifi should be WAY faster than bluetooth.

9. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Is it? I guess I assumed a direct device-to-device connection was always faster than Wifi. My bad. :)

10. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

You say the videos are stored in iCloud now, so why wouldn't they be there anymore after you setup the phone as a new phone?

Do you use iCloud Photo Library? If so, you don't have to worry about anything.
    If not, I don't understand how they are in iCloud now...

11. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

AirDrop does use WiFi.

It only uses Bluetooth to establish the initial connection.

12. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

They're in an iCloud backup, within an app called PhotoManagerPro. I can transfer them to my camera roll though. I just wanted to set up as new without using any backup.

13. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Assuming you are on a Mac, use the built in Image Capture app...

14. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

YES everyone is making this way too complicated.

Connect your iPhone via the USB cable. Open the "Image Capture" app on your mac. Sort Type by Kind and transfer your videos...

15. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I don't have a Mac, but thanks anyway. I should have stated this earlier.

16. geekguy123 macrumors member

If any of them are slo-mo videos, you'll lose the slo-mo part of the video when you import and then put back onto the iPhone. I learned that the hard way.