Best way to get 5s for non-eligible upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Sep 15, 2013.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

What is the best way to get an iPhone 5s for us non-eligible to upgrade? I have an iPhone 5 with Verizon as individual account. I've always only bought iPhones when I'm upgrade eligible and so this will be my first time buying an iPhone when I'm not upgrade eligible. Is there a way not to pay full price? If I have to pay full price, is my only option to sell my iPhone 5 to save money? Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I cannot tell you what other ways you may save money. I don't know your financial situation.

If you want to pay less than full price (effectively, anyway). Trading it in store at time of purchase makes the most sense.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Selling your prior phone is generally the only way to help offset the cost of a new phone. There's no tricks or ways to avoid paying full price if you're in mid-contract. The ETF ensures that

4. Becact macrumors member

I come from the ATT world, so we have these tricks. Not sure if they apply for VZ:

1) buy at retail, sell old phone, eat the cost difference. Benefit here is you don't renew your contract so you'll get your upgrade at the normal time (for iphone 6 if you want)

2) ATT's early termination fee reduces in cost every month you are on contract. If you are a significant part through your contract, see how much it is. Pay it, terminate your line, get a new line with a fully subsidized phone. Sell old phone.

3) ATT offers an early upgrade fee that simply tacks on $250 to the subsidized price. So a 16gb would be $449. I'm not sure exactly when this kicks in. Third option is to exercise this option, sell old phone, and eat the cost difference

Good luck!

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You pay whatever the carrier wants you to. Then you sell your phone to recoup some of the money you spent.

6. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

Thanks for all the responses. Does Apple store do trade ins? If so, how much do you think they will pay for iPhone 5?

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

They do offer in store trade ins now. The trade in amount will vary from Apple to such places like Gazelle. The best possible chance of extra cash is selling on eBay or Craigslist. I wouldn't recommend craigslist just because of the possible chance of robbery. If possible, bring a friend with you. Most I saw for selling on eBaywas about $450-$470 for a iPhone 5 32GB for AT&T.