Best way to get around "no service" but have a wifi signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alm99, Jun 14, 2010.

1. alm99 macrumors 6502

Building I work in has no service through AT&T, full bars outside, inside nothing. I can however use wifi. I am thinking of picking up the iPhone 4.

In order to keep communications with the wife I was thinking of using one of the apps like textfree or the like to maintain communication. Anyone use a program like this or would something like google voice work on the iPhone and ring through using wifi?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you could use a simple im application like aim. that might be the best route. im not to sure on gv

3. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

4. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I use Textfree and Pingchat 2 and both work
    well enough that I dropped my texting plan
    completely.
    Pingchat is only iPhone to iPhone right now
    textfree will work with anybody who has texting.

5. frankchi macrumors newbie

Use VOIP over Wifi

If you have WiFi you can use VOIP application for iPhone and call your wife.
    (For example, I can suggest AltPhone - simple and you will get plenty of free minutes. It also supports sms messaging over WiFi)

6. jason221 macrumors 6502

Just a suggestion to save battery life, if you don't do this already: Turn on Airplane mode when your phone says "No Service." You can then turn on Wi-Fi but keep the cellular signal turned off. This saves a tremendous amount of battery life that would have otherwise been wasted constantly searching for a signal.

7. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I don't have signal in most parts of my home, & google voice is a wonderful solution. You can text as much as you want, & you can have the texts sent to your email.

Textnow is also really good. You'll get popup notifications & it's only a few dollars to buy the app.