Best way to get iPhone 4S.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Jun 12, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I have friend who uses an old style phone and is out of contract.

I am urging him to get an 4S over free like Galaxy 2 S (because its specs are are truly dated) and iPhone 4 (mainly due to few carriers)

He is with Sprint, but Sprint wants $100 (he does not have) for a 4S *UNLESS* you are new to Sprint, then free :)rolleyes:).

He will try to talk them down to free with 2 year (other carriers asking big deposits).

I am also thinking alternate of the full price phone and go with no-contract plan.
    When it comes to the Bring Your Own Phone plan, who are the best ones to go with?

(just found on Apple store: "The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."
    This applies for ALL versions (4, 4S, 5), so why is Apple locking out CDMA on unlocked iPhones?)

Thanks!

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The 'unlocked' version refers to unlocking of the GSM bands; in other words, it is not restricted to any GSM carrier, unlike almost any phone sold under contract in the US. Also, the CDMA bands used by Verizon and Sprint are different from the WCDMA bands used in the rest of the world. There are firmware differences that make other phones incompatible with their networks, though not necessarily the reverse- a Verizon iPhone will work just fine on ATT's GSM network.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Verizon/Sprint iPhones the GSM is unlocked, or can be unlocked?

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Verizon ships the iPhone 5 with GSM unlocked, due to FCC requirements about the LTE frequencies they use if I recall correctly, and Sprint will unlock them 'as a courtesy' after 90 days. With the 4S, Verizon would unlock it for international GSM after 60 days- not certain about Sprint. The 4 had the CDMA modem added later (to replace the GSM modem entirely) and thus had no such capability for either carrier.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, the 2 versions of iP4 I know about (another reason for looking at 4S).

Thanks for your help.

Now, since I should look at CDMA carriers (with its unlocked GSM), which include Boost, Cricket, Virgin and others besides Sprint and Verizon.

Oh, I should mentions he lives in Reno.

Any suggestions on which, anyone?