Best way to get iPhone X on launch, by pre-order or pitch a tent?

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Still debating to get a launch day iPhone X. I prefer a sim-free version. But if they don't have that on day one like the 8/8+, I will have to go with a carrier based one.

For those that plan to get an X on launch day, is the higher percentage chance to snag one by an online pre-order or waiting in line at Apple or B&M retailer? Or try both?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Still debating to get a launch day iPhone X. I prefer a sim-free version. But if they don't have that on day one like the 8/8+, I will have to go with a carrier based one.

For those that plan to get an X on launch day, is the higher percentage chance to snag one by an online pre-order or waiting in line at Apple or B&M retailer? Or try both?
What You could do, is pre-order the iPhone X when you have the earliest opportunity and if you have an Apple store within reaching distance, you could stand in line in hopes of trying to achieve one, then cancel your order if find one. Pre-ordering might be your best solution assuming you do it rather quickly.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
If you get in line RIGHT NOW then you have a decent chance of getting the iPhone X on launch, but if you wait a few days then forget about it.

As for online order... open up a console and run "ping cupertino.org". That should give you a good idea about your latency to Apple's servers, and give you a good idea about your chances of successful preorder.

0-10ms - Almost 100% chance
10-30ms - 50/50
30-50ms - 25% chance
50ms+ - Almost zero chance

One think you can do to improve your chances is to camp OUTSIDE AN APPLE STORE and use their wifi at 12:01 once preorders start. Apple Stores have a direct fiber optic connection to the mothership so you're guaranteed to have a good ping there.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
I’m personally pre ordering and if I get a date later than pre order, I’m standing in line. So you wouldn’t be alone

CGoodlet26

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
If you get in line RIGHT NOW then you have a decent chance of getting the iPhone X on launch, but if you wait a few days then forget about it.

As for online order... open up a console and run "ping cupertino.org". That should give you a good idea about your latency to Apple's servers, and give you a good idea about your chances of successful preorder.

10-30ms - 50/50
30-50ms - 25% chance

One think you can do to improve your chances is to camp OUTSIDE AN APPLE STORE and use their wifi at 12:01 once preorders start. Apple Stores have a direct fiber optic connection to the mothership so you're guaranteed to have a good ping there.
This is the first time I have read about latency in accessing the Apple Store server once pre-orders go live. Any other options on improving latency without being connected to Apple's wifi network? Currently floating around 70ms :/

Reactions: mokinhaz

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA

10-30ms - 50/50
30-50ms - 25% chance

While I appreciate what you are trying to convey, I think using ping has far to many assumptions. First, pinging Cupertino.com will presumably ping the server hosting the city’s website, not the server hosting the Apple store. Assuming that server is actually in Cupertino (a bold but plausible assumption) means you are getting response times from the rough geographical location. This does not take into account the actual network structure and hops taken to get to where apple’s servers are. It also assumes Apple host the store in Cupertino. Not in Maiden, NC. Where the giant data center on the east coast is located. It also assumes that Apple does not use Amazon Web Services for the online store (I really doubt this, but it is a possibility.) Even then, running trace route might be slightly more useful than ping, but there is a good chance if it’s enough hops that their will be a change in that hop count between now and next weeks preorder. Finally, frankly we are talking about milliseconds. There is a MUCH higher likelihood that you home network or ISP will **** up when you are trying to log in, or be doing 3am maintenance, or you have ****** lag to your dns, or your up/down is too damn slow. I have gigabit fiber, even I am not worried about 32 milliseconds to the 9th hop to Cupertino.

Bottom line is, if you wanna get one ASAP, run a computer with auto refresh on set to the Apple online store, run an iPad using the Apple store app, and run an iPhone on the data network only to cover all your bases. Practice the act of placing an order. Make sure you cards having billing addresses, up to date codes from the back, and that you have Apple Pay enabled.

I knew a wise man that once said “why speed in your car on the way to your destination, you waste most of the time on your trip walking to and from your car”.....same thing, why worry about lag in ms if you get to checkout and don’t have a card’s billing address stored.

Good luck!

Reactions: Ntombi

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Pre-order and still camp anyway knowing you will likely fail getting one. Do it for the iPhone Xperience!

My best launch experience was for the iPhone 4 as I wasn't there for the original iPhone release as I was vacationing and wasn't in the US anymore when the 5/5s/6 were released. The iPhone X is special. It's like saying Happy Birthday, iPhone.

I don't even want the iPhone X only having a 30% urge to get it knowing a better version of it will be released anyway but might still camp out since I got nothing else to do that day. Less Black Friday crowds. Less iPhone launch crowds. Less console launch crowds. Where is the fun anymore?

I likely will fail 99.9% of getting one, but guess what? I can still catch Thor: Ragnarok opening that same day if I can't score one and still have $1100+ in my pocket without needing to break the bank. My new friends in line can go join me. Then I can anticipate watching a midnight showing of The Last Jedi when that gets released in December.

Do companies celebrate 11th, 12th, 13th year anniversary products? No. The number 10 (X) is special. The next celebration is in 2027, 2032 (Silver Anniversary), 2057 (Golden Anniversary). Who knows if we are even using smartphones that time or still be alive? 2017 could be a last celebration for iPhone until another decade.

Circle that date on your calendar. November 3, iPhone Xperience Day. Camp out outside the Apple Store. Watch Thor 3 later that day to watch Hela kick a** if you can't score an iPhone X but still have money in your bank account. You win either way and might make a few new friends along the way.

It was never about the final destination but the journey, dude. You will have an iPhone X eventually...

iPhone X: $1100-$1250+ (taxes included)

Making new friends, getting free water bottles, Chick-fil-A, having the Apple employees cheer you on as you enter the door, and knowing you at least tried: Priceless

"Be Xcellent to each other. And party on, dudes!" Whoooooooo!

Reactions: chen23

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014

I have always pre-ordered online and got it day one. Both by Apple online and through my carrier. I've never and will never queue outside a shop for a device or anything for that matter.

I'm getting the iPhone X via my carrier as the price outright is not ok to me. An I'm already on a contract so it makes more sense to just upgrade with my carrier anyway. And I'm pretty sure just like always i'll be getting it day one.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
its only a phone, I don't see the need to take a week, or more out of your life to camp at a store just for the chance to get one. Look at the iPhone 8 plus, and then look at the X. Its not that much different and to camp seems unnecessary to me.

LiemTa

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
What’s the rush? It’s a phone!
Funny how people like you who say “It’s just a phone” can never elaborate on why we should care less about the phone. Newsflash: using the word “just” means nothing if you can’t explain why you feel the way you feel.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Funny how people like you who say “It’s just a phone” can never elaborate on why we should care less about the phone. Newsflash: using the word “just” means nothing if you can’t explain why you feel the way you feel.
I used to get excited like everyone else. Stood in line for the first couple of iPhones. It was being part of something new.

My view has changed over the years. The phone has improved, lots of innovation, faster, thinner, better battery life, apps, it's all good. But at this point I no longer get excited. Someone in another thread said it perfectly. At this point the smartphone is like a microwave. Just another appliance.

I don't mean to take away from anyone else's excitement. I hope you like the phone.

Last edited:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
“Or pitch a tent” There are women and kids on this site dude. Have a little class. We don’t need to be hearing about what you do on your own time. lol