Best way to get lots of data and not many minutes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlmitnick, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

So I've got an unlocked iPhone, and I'm in the US. Ideally I'd like to figure out a way to get good data, but I don't need that many talking minutes at all. My goal here is to minimize cost. Right now with AT&T, as an individual, the lowest plan they offer is 450 minutes for $40, and I get the $30 unlimited data, and then $5 for 200 texts. I'm fine with spending $30 on data, and $5 on texts (although ideally I would have that go away as well), but the $40 for the minutes is just so unnecessary for me as I only use about 30-60 minutes max per month.

I was thinking about getting a prepaid T-mobile or ATT sim card/plan (I've tested these in my ulocked phone and they work), and then getting something like a verizon Mifi. The pro is that this will let me minimize the money spent on minutes. The cons are that I have to bring 2 devices everywhere (but I think the mifi is small), but the big con is that the mifi data is expensive - I think it's like $60 a month for the 5gb cap?!? - that's so much worse than the $30 data for unlimited 3g on a normal iPhone plan.

Anyway, what other solutions are there for a person in my situation? Thanks :)

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

You could also look at the Virgin Mobile Mifi which is pay as you go.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you already had unlimited data with AT&T, you cannot get it on a new plan. I may have misunderstood you OP, but it sounded like you don't have a current iPhone plan. So you may be SOL anyway with the AT&T route. I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before so I don't know other calling plans that work nor do I know of any other data plans like mifi.