Best way to get my HD pictures unto my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audirs5, Aug 9, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

I'm noticing a downsize in quality, just wondering what is the best way to get my high definition pictures I take with my DSLR, unto my iphone.

Thanks

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Put it in a file manager capable of previewing photos, not in Apple photos app.

3. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

What do you mean "downsize in quality"?

With a recent dslr, you can import camera photos over wifi using the manufacturer's wireless app. Be sure to check in the app settings that full size import is on.

You can use the Apple lightning camera connection kit.

If you have iCloud Photos turned on, you can access iCloud via the web on your pc/Mac, and upload your photos to it.

In any of these scenarios, there is no compression or loss of resolution. I assume we're taking about jpegs.

4. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

What i mean is, if I create a shared album on my mac, and download the picture from on my iphone from this album, will the picture be of best quality?? I'm taking picture with a sony A6000

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you current method of getting photos from the Mac onto your iPhone is somehow reducing the resolution, try one of the following

1. Send the photo to the iPhone via email. Make sure you choose "original resolution"

2. Use airdrop between the Mac and the iPhone.

In either case, is probably a little more cumbersome than using Photos.app or iPhoto, but it should work fine

6. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

but does sharing a photo via icloud affect resolution ? that's what i wanna know.

7. cynics macrumors G3

Use iCloud Photo Library or Airdrop. Do not use iCloud Photo Sharing.

Note, do not use iCloud.com to access iCloud Photo Library, let them auto populate on the iPhone from the Mac. Or use AirDrop if you are in a hurry however I find iCloud Photo Library to not typically take that long an AirDrop reliability to be questionable at best.

8. audirs5, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you explain that to me? How can me creating an album in photos and sharing it not create the same quality as icloud library?

And so I know, in order for airdrop to work, both items need to be on the same wifi, or can my phone be on LTE? Because airdrop... never...****ing...works!!!

9. cynics macrumors G3

Shared albums are essentially being hosted from Apple and "shared" with others. Photos have some layer of compression and are reduced for a certain resolution, the same with videos. Keep in mind this is for sharing socially.

iCloud Photo Library is your photos seeded to your Apple devices. It's an exact copy of the original. These photos are stored in the cloud, however unlike shared albums these count toward your iCloud data usage. A high end camera can fill that space pretty quickly. I have about 15 gb of photos and videos stored in the cloud.

Airdrop needs wifi and Bluetooth to be on, it does not require them to be connected to anything though. Airdrop sets up a proprietary wifi direct connection to transmit data. So yes it works when you are on LTE but it doesn't use LTE.

I'm one of the fortunate ones and AirDrop seems to work well for me.

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

@cynics already explained it well, but here's the Apple article on photo sharing. Scroll down to the "File Types" section to see the compression described:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786

11. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the great input.. The issue now is, once u activate it and pay for the plan, your entire library is hosted on icloud.. I only want certain files. Is there no way around that?

thanks

12. cynics macrumors G3

Not with iCloud Photo Library, at least not that I'm aware off.