Best way to get Office 08 off of MacBook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Braddrum, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Braddrum macrumors regular

Braddrum

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2008 with Office 08 on it, and yesterday I received my new late 2012 iMac. I'm now wanting to transfer office onto the new machine and while it would be easiest to insert the office disk into the iMac I don't have a drive at present to do this.

Is there any other way around this?

Can I do this using Migration Assistant? and if so can I chose what I migrate as I was looking to start over with this machine.

Thanks,

Brad

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Easiest way is just to copy the Microsoft office folder in Applications from one Mac to the other Mac. I have done this before and it worked fine.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You can always share the optical drive on you MacBook. See the Sharing pane in System Preferences.

Just copying the Office apps from Applications won't be 100% complete because at least the Microsoft Fonts won't transfer. There might be other things as well. Office seems to be pretty intrusive.

4. Braddrum thread starter macrumors regular

Braddrum

Thanks Guys, I'll try Talmys option first as it seems most complete.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have only done it once, and it was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly the fonts are in the Office folder and when you first run one of the Apps, it will install the Fonts, if they are missing. That having being said if the OP has access to a DVD drive that is the better way.