Best Way to Import, Organise and Edit Your Photo's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by faffoo, May 28, 2009.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi there,

Would anyone be able to help with a slight problem I am having.

I ahve just bought a Canon EOS 450D. I am hoping to start taking alot of photos with this camera in RAW format. I like how easy to use iPhoto is and I love all the other things iPhoto can do such as Books and Calendars etc.

I like using DPP (Canon's Digital Photo Proffesional), to edit the RAW photos as there are alot of settings in there for editing RAW's.

At the moment I use iPhoto to import my photos from my camera and then organise them using iPhoto. I have set iPhoto to edit the photo i click on in DPP when i want to edit and that is all fine and good until I make a change in DPP. The change dosnt appear in iPhoto. I am wondering if it is something to do with the fact that DPP can not see the iPhoto library.

Is there anyway to make my current setup work or dose anyone have any suggestions as to a better way to import, organise and edit my photos.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards
    Faffoo

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

One possible workflow is:

Use image capture to dump photos to a folder on the desktop - called INBOX

Then Edit the ones you want to edit, saving duplicates if you need to.

Then Use iPhoto to import from that folder (drag it to iPhoto).

Workflows are a bit of a personal thing and many people have many different styles.

I constantly feel mine is a mess. I soley use aperture but I never got around to deleting photos I dont want anymore, so the library is huge now.

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to ask, how good is Aperture. Is it worth spending the money? Would it suit my needs? Actually, how much is aperture?

Thanks and Best Regards
    Faffoo