Best way to install ssd+2nd hdd setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dragula22, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Dragula22 macrumors member

I took the mac plunge this past week and so far I'm loving OS X.

I would eventually like to upgrade the stock 250gb to a 640gb, and install the kingston 40gb ssd drive into an optibay as the dedicated boot/app drive.

First, for a dual ssd/hdd system, putting the ssd in the optibay is the correct strategy right? What is the best way to attempt this switch?

If I replace both drives at once, I'm screwed because I need the optical drive to install os x, correct? So should I install a OS onto the 640 first, and then install the ssd? I'm also relatively new to time machine, so I'm not sure what its capabilities are--will i be able to only back up my applications? In the end, I'd like to be able to boot from the ssd and store videos/pics/etc in the HD.

Thanks for any help.

*Posted in Macbook Pro forum by accident, please delete if possible

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just take out the hard drive you have right now and put the SSD in it and install the OS and apps. Then install your OEM hard drive in the optical caddy and replace your superdrive with it.

3. Dragula22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

So I heard the default slot for the harddrive has some kind of motion sensor for drop protection. If you put the harddrive in the optibay, you lose that capability so its better to put the ssd into the optibay.

I guess I can initially put the ssd in the default spot, install OS, and then switch it to the optibay and install new hd into the hd slot. The switch shouldn't hurt anything I hope.

4. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

How much more heat would this produce?
    Would this void warranty?

5. Dragula22 thread starter macrumors member

SSD's are supposedly lower energy since there are no moving parts, thus less heat.

Installing the optibay would void the warranty but I've heard others on this forum who switched the superdrive back in before bringing it in and having no problems. Just proceed cautiously I suppose.