Best Way to JB and Unlock 3GS 3.1.2 5.11.07?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Makanmata, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Makanmata macrumors member

My jailbroken and unlocked iPhone was lost/stolen recently. Fortunately, I have my wife's old 3GS (Model: MC136LL) running Version: 3.1.2 with Modem FW: 5.11.07, which has never been jailbroken or unlocked before.

Can somebody please direct me to the state of the art way to jailbreak and unlock this device easily, preferably so that it can still be booted untethered? Is the current best solution Ultrasn0w, Blackra1n, or some other?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Using "Spirit" to jailbreak it. Then install "Ultrasn0w 1.2" from Cydia.

3. Makanmata, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately, I have only iTunes 10 on my computer, and the Spirit website seems to suggest that it will work only with versions below 9.2. Is that still correct information? If so, any other ideas?

I'm currently looking at "JailbreakMe" which is what I think I used the last time I needed to do this. Any thoughts on that approach?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

you don't need Itune to use Spirit. Just download Spirit into your computer, hook up your phone to your PC and run it. This is the most simple "1 click" jailbreak anyone can do.

Good luck!

5. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

The jailbreak seemed to go well, and I went to Cydia, then searched and ran UltraSn0w 2.1. It seemed to go well, but I put my new chip in (from Vivo in Brazil if that matters), but after searching its telling me "No Service." Am I doing something wrong? Is there another step? Could I have gotten a bad chip?

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

DId you ever activate with hacktivate, SAM or with a legit SIM?

Other thought, If that thing is an old boot rom you could go to 4.2.1 retain baseband to unlock and have untethered jailbreak now, no need to wait.

7. Makanmata, Jan 4, 2011

Yes, the phone was legitimately activated by AT&T in the U.S. When I go to "General" and "Phone" the "My Number" is blank, but it does show "Vivo Services" and "Sim Applications" from Vivo -- if that information helps. Can I try blackra1n now and see if that works for me, or will there be a conflict with UltraSnow.?

Not sure about whether it is a new or old bootrom (but I'm guessing new).

Thanks again.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

go to "Setting", "General", "Networ", then turn the "Enable 3G" to off.

You are good to go.

9. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Still no joy. When I switched it, it did tell me that my chosen network was restricted and that I should change it. I switched it from Vivo to Automatic, but no difference. Still "No Service."

Might it be that I need to downgrade by boot rom? Shall I try Blackra1n instead?

Thanks again.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Use idetector to see if this is an old or new bootrom.

Use tiny umbrella to see what shsh are out for you.

Answer these questions and we can come up with some options. If you have no shsh on file like it appears personally I don't like jailbreaking an ios version that I couldn't restore if I run into problems. So if I were you I would go to 4.2.1 with a custom firmware that didn't update your unlockable baseband. Jailbreak with redsn0w. If it is an old bootrom it is even untethered. If not you have a bit of an annoyance in rebooting the phone tethered. Hopefully that situation changes in the near future though.

11. Makanmata, Jan 4, 2011

Not sure what tinyumbrella or idetector are, but does this help at all?

I ran Fuzzyband and "upgraded" by baseband, so that it is now:

Bootloader Version: 6.04 [G2M3S2)
    Baseband Version: ICE2-05.13.04
    Iphone OS Version: 3.1.2

I reinstalled Ultrasnow (while it ran it told me "lost cellular connection" (or somesuch) but seemed to install sucessfully, and still shows "No Service".

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

13. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I have no other phone to try it out on. If there is a possibility (or a likelihood) that it is a bad SIM, I can take it back to Vivo tomorrow and ask them to check it.

Thanks.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I would definitely test it out and make sure you have a good working SIM.

15. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

I will do that, thanks.

So is it correct then that even with the boot loader I have, that UltraSn0w should theoretically work, and the new boot loader won't cause a problem?

16. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

new bootloader will not cause a problem. Check your sim first and see if it works with other phone. Ultrasn0w will unlock your baseband with ease. May be reset the network setting after you have your sim in and see if it helps.

17. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Network Reset (and even reinstallation of Ultrasnow) didn't help. I will head over to Vivo and see if they can take a look at the chip.

I'm glad to hear that I'm theoretically ok with the new bootloader. I read some stuff that seemed to suggest that I wouldn't be able to upgrade with the new bootloader on the 3GS without upgrading my firmware to 4.1 -- and I don't really follow how to do that without upgrading to the current version on iTunes.

Thanks again.

18. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Back from Vivo with a reprogrammed chip, and all is now working well. Apparently, the last chip was bad.

Many thanks for all of the help offered by the board.

19. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX