Best Way to Lock Down an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PrestonWard, Sep 28, 2012.

1. PrestonWard macrumors member

I am trying to lock down my iPhone just in case it ever gets stolen. What I have done so far is turned on restrictions to not allow changes to accounts and location services. Usually I don't have a passcode, but I know one can be remotely set up with find my iPhone it if is ever taken. The only other thing that I think needs to be disabled is the reset menu. Is there any way to disable the reset menu?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Sadly, what you have done is pretty much all that can be done.

But if you don't lock it with a passcode, it's as simple as going into settings and clicking on airplane mode.. either way they just have to power off the phone and pull out the SIM.

In my opion, the SIM should be integrated into the phone permanently with options to change carriers somehow by either Apple or the carries (after verifying the account holder). when lost mode is activated, the power button should be disabled and it should have a low level wake command to prevent the phone from shutting off completely.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only way to restrict the reset menu, is to set a passcode. Then, a user will have to enter the right code before they can reset your phone.

It's better to set up a passcode in advance anyway. that way you're not relying on your iPhone being on and connected to a network so that you can remotely lock it down.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

With Verizon finally getting SIM Cards, people out of the US want to go back to Verizon's old ways of restrictive lack of SIM cards :-/

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Your only protection is for data on it. Put a PIN in it, sign up for Find my iPhone. If stolen, you can remote wipe it.

A thief can always put it in DFU mode and restore the phone using iTunes regardless of anything done on the phone. There is no method to stop this. I researched this extensively when we switched to iPod units for scanners on our shop floors globally. We use the same scanner sleeve that the Apple Store uses.