Best way to make a FAT32 partition on the internal HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Earthling84, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Earthling84 macrumors newbie

What is the best way to make a FAT32 partition on a MacBook's internal hard drive? (I plan to use it to share files between OS X and Windows.) I did some research on this, and some people say to use Disk Utility, however, the only disk format available for me is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and there are no FAT32 or FAT or MS-DOS options. Perhaps those options were taken out since then(?). One other person said to create the partition using Windows, which I think would work, but I'm a little worried about that because I've read that editing partitions outside of OS X can prevent Boot Camp from seeing the partitions.

I'm thinking that my best bet would be using Windows to shrink its own partition, then turning the resulting unformatted space into a FAT32 partition. Since I'm not touching the OS X partition I'm hoping there wouldn't be any problems. I just wanted to confirm whether or not that would work and/or what a better method would be. Thanks.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You can search around, there's a few different tools that can do it.

Here's one that I've used, it can pretty much do anything you can throw at it.

iPartition

3. Earthling84 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPartition can't do anything with the disk you're booting from.

"To make changes to the disk you have booted from, you should either boot from an external drive, use Target Disk Mode with another Mac, or create a bootable CD.
    You can create a bootable CD by running Coriolis CDMaker which should be available from your distributor."

I'm not quite sure how to boot from an external drive, I don't have another Mac, and CDMaker doesn't seem to support the newest Macs.

I tried making a partition with Disk Utility then changing it to FAT32 with GParted, but OS X doesn't recognize it.

EDIT: I discovered NTFS-3G (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/) so I guess I don't need a FAT32 partition anymore.