Best way to make the iMac 2011 screen non-reflective

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hajime, May 14, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello, I tried out the iMac aluminum in a store. I found the glare and reflection on the screen annoying. What is the best way to reduce these issues or make the iMac's screen like a matt screen? I know that we could apply some kind of screen protector directly on the iMac's screen. However, it is hard to do it perfectly without creating bubbles. Thanks.

2. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You could smear some vaseline all over the screen lol jk.

Theres nothing you can do. Maybe theres a company makes anti reflective film.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

A monitor hood could help, but would look pig ugly.

4. Smartie, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

One of the forum members has developed a new frame for the iMac 27" replacing the standard frame that would make it non-reflective.

See this recent thread for further info

5. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I have a high gloss screen. Apple uses it because the fonts are sharper and crisper. They get blurred on a matte screen. To avoid glare, I do not keep the window shades open and do not have a light source behind me. The monitor itself puts out enough light to see. If you need more light, an LED desk lamp positioned correctly will not affect the glare. Apple stores are bright, not the best for marketing the glossy monitors.

6. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

if there's no light in front of it, there's really no refection. make sure it doesn't face a window, or if you can't get a room that is not a glare menace, at least put a bright lamp behind it.

7. Whargoul macrumors member

8. Gloops macrumors member

It's nothing to do with sharpness, it's just cosmetic: a sheet of glass in front of a TFT-LCD display to make the machine appear seamless. I have an old white iMac, which didn't have the glass, and it actually looks sharper because I'm not straining to see past reflections.

Sitting in a dark room looking at a light for a prolonged period isn't good for your eyesight.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Or a hard wire brush. It's easier to hold. However, you could get a sandpaper attachment for your drill. That will be best.

10. mcpix macrumors regular

I'm the guy that replaced his glass screen with a Macframe. Check out the previously mentioned thread, or just google macframes. So far, everyone has been really happy with it.

I agree with gloops. The screen just looks sharper when you're not looking through a very reflective sheet of glass.

11. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I thought the screen was IPS, not TFT. The best monitor to compare to would be the Dell Ultrasharp 2711 which is IPS, has the same resolution, and a matte screen. I considered that as an option, but most people hated the matte screen. Maybe Apple will solve that problem, but maybe not.

I'm using an HP 2207 which is super glossy. Right now I have plenty of light in the room. I have a corner desk with windows to the side. No light shining on the monitor. Reflections are not a problem.

12. mcpix macrumors regular

That's exactly right. The actual iMac LCD is glossy, but it really doesn't have much problem with glare or reflections. The real culprit is the glossy glass cover that is over the LCD. It's a glare and reflection magnet. That's why removing the glass cover works so well.

13. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

14. Spike88, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Previous thread at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1360226

Thanks for the reminder of your product.... If my iMac had too glossy screen in its current location, I'd give your product a try. It looks cool and appears to be afford-able (for product and shipping).

Again... Thanks for your product reminder...