Best way to manage photos on new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qtrim, Nov 27, 2011.

1. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

Im a lifetime windows user who just bought a Mac. I have about 30k photos, all named by date (Year-Month-Day_filename) and organized into about 30 folders named by thier category.

When I move them to the Mac, should I just copy over the parent folder? I hear that importing into iPhoto totally reorganizes the folders and I'm not sure how it would handle it. I'm not sure if I'll be using iPhoto in the long run, I may end up using PhotoshopElements, or Apeture for editing.

I know i have to change my thought process with the Switch. Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That should work fine.

3. floh macrumors 6502

Yes and no. If you keep the import settings as is, iPhoto will copy all your pictures into its "iPhoto Library" folder and sort them into folders named by the date the pics were taken.

However, you can tell iPhoto to not copy and resort all your pictures but rather keep them as and where they are, and only catalogue them for viewing. It will still produce a fair amount of additional storage space for 30k photos, since iPhoto will create small preview versions and a complex database, but for me, this was the best way nonetheless. If you just want to try iPhoto and if it works for you, I would highly suggest this.

Just make sure that before importing your photos, you open the iPhoto preferences dialog, go to the "advanced settings" tab and uncheck "copy objects into iPhoto library". The exact names of these fields will be a little different, since my iPhoto is german and I only translated what I read...

Have fun!

4. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Great advice, when I switched from windows I did the same, I could not understand why iPhoto wanted to take my perfect folder organization and make it its own. Its prefect for dipping your toes in the water. Later you may decide to let iPhoto organize it for you.

5. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

6. waynep macrumors 6502

I ave used Picasa for years on the PC. When switching to the Mac I started using Picasa. After playing with iPhoto, I dove all in and let iPhoto take over and do it's thing. I found a script that's supposed to "export" your photos from the iPhoto library and make event folders to keep them organized so you can get photos out again. Have not tried it, but so far I think I am staying with the Mac from here out. I might someday get Aperture.

7. bt22 macrumors 6502

I also recently switched from Window's to Mac. iPhoto was my biggest headache. I have or 7,000 pics and was so frustrated when iPhoto arranged them by date, but it also kept the folder title they had in windows. I finally figured out how to sort by Title and all was well again. I am slowly learning how to work in iPhoto and I am starting to enjoy it more.

8. qtrim thread starter macrumors regular

qtrim

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try iPhoto and tell it not to reorganize.