Best Way to Pick Up iPad2 as a Tourist

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dembo, May 4, 2011.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi all,

in about three weeks I'll be traveling all over Florida and I'll try to pick up an iPad2. While there are multiple Apple stores in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area I have the feeling that supplies are still constraint (I am aiming for a black 32G 3G model).

It seem that there are several options:

• Drive around and hope that I find one before my family dumps me on the side of the road
    • Order one online (still plenty of time) and hope that it ships to a given hotel while I am there (would FedEx/UPS just hand over the iPad to any old hotel clerk or would they return it to the next shipping center)
    • Call a local Apple Store and find out whether I can get an iPad shipped to them

Any idea on how to progress?

2. goMac macrumors 603

None of the above are likely to work. You'd be better off ordering in your home country. Online backlogs are at least 2 weeks, so if you're going to be here less than 4 weeks it's probably not a good idea. (3 weeks max ship time + a week in shipping....)

The only way to do it is to wake up early and wait in line.

3. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Well I thought I could order it right now - I'll be down there in about three weeks so there should be sufficient time for a delivery.

Do the shops generally receive daily shipments or is this still a gamble? I don't mind getting up early and waiting in line, however, if chances are slim I'd rather try something different.

4. ironicninja macrumors newbie

I say wait in line at an Apple Store, that's where I finally managed to get one. It's not like you're going to be stuck there all day. You'll know by 9 or 10am whether you can get one or not, or even sooner if they know they aren't getting a shipment. Then you have the rest of the day ahead of you.

5. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Yeah, looks like the most viable option. Maybe the supply situation is a little bit better in June. As a plan B I just discovered a distant relative living in the Miami area, so I might just order one online, get it shipped to him and then pick it up there without waiting.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Only the Apple store. Targets and Best Buys are generally getting none, inconsistently if anything.

7. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I got mine in Orlando by checking the Target stock levels every day using http://www.ipad2locator.com/. I had one abortive trip to a store and a second fruitful trip to buy my white 64GB wifi iPad. I would say is check every day and be prepared to dash to a store to buy one. Also be prepared to compromise. I wanted a black 64GB wifi model but settled for a white one for £470, a significant saving.

8. saberav macrumors newbie

Go early in the morning to wait in line

I was able to get my hands on one at the Millenia Mall in Orlando Florida by getting there before the store opened and waiting in line the first week the iPad 2's were released. From what i understand they get shipments everyday (although they won't tell you this). I was #22 in line and got the last 32GB Wifi. The 3G models were gone by the first few people in line. So my recommendation to you is get to the mall early (6:30am), fall in line right in front of the Apple Store and hopefully they will have enough shipments for the 3G version that you get one.

Good luck!

9. Iffy22 macrumors member

I visited Florida for Easter and I about 2 weeks before I left Europe I ordered an iPad 2 at WalMart.com with their Site to Store delivery option. I could then pick it up at the WalMart store 15 min from where I was staying. They hold it for 21 days so you can order well in advance.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Solved: I found a relative of a friend living in Coral Gables and ordered online via apple.com.

Apple estimates the iPad to reach Coral Gables on May 27th, I'll be in there area until June 6th so the safety margin for hiccups in China should be plenty.