General Best way to prepare for future JB for 6.1.3 / 7.x?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheSwede86, Apr 13, 2013.

  1. TheSwede86 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #1
    Hi!

    Running an iPad 2 w. 5.1.1 (jailbroken) and an iPhone 5 w. 6.0 (not jailbroken) and would like to update both as well as (re)jailbreak them.

    Now as I have understood I can't do this since Apple is no longer signing 6.1.2 and then I need to update to 6.1.3 which is not currently jailbroken.

    I need 6.1 on my iPhone 5 since it enables 4G (LTE) in my country and it would be nice to be on 6.x on my iPad as well.

    What would be the best way to "prepare" my devices for a future JB for 6.1.3 and/or 7.x?
    Since the teams don't want to spoil exploits for 7.x it seems that a 6.1.3 JB wouldn't come before the 7.x JB and then I could just wait?

    If 7.x gets JB and shortly after that 6.1.3 gets it then I of course want the 7.x.
    My fear is that 6.1.3 gets a JB before iOS 7 due to iOS 7 being delayed and before that Apple launches 6.1.4 which makes me unable to upgrade to 6.1.3 since then 6.1.4 is the latest (and I can only upgrade to the latest).

    Am I going about this wrong or not seeing something here, what do you guys (and girls) think?

    Grateful for any replies and tips, was quite a long time ago since I was reading up on JB:ing.
     
  2. Troneas macrumors 65816

    Troneas

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2011
    Location:
    At the alternatives section.
    #2
    at this point just install whatever iOS version is the latest.

    there is no way to "prepare" for anything. when a new jailbreak comes out it will be compatible with the latest iOS version available - be it 6.x or 7.x.
     
  3. eyoungren macrumors P6

    eyoungren

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix • 85037
    #3
    This is just my own personal opinion so take it as you will.

    I don't think there will ever be a jailbreak for 6.1.3. Everyone is expecting 7.0 and even if it's delayed it's still likely to land this year. Once it does land, that makes a jailbreak for 6.1.3 even more remote. Why, when all the resources and focus would then be better used to jailbreak 7.0?

    I've also not heard any chatter about a 6.1.4 beta and usually there is some talk about a beta version around here among those who have access to it. That again leads me to believe that 6.1.3 is the last version of iOS 6 that we will see.

    Of course I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it in this instance.

    ----------

    He can't if he wants to keep the jailbreak on the one device he has it on.
     
  4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #4
    The evaders were very clear, no JB for 6.1.3 only for major releases.

    So we might see it for 7.x but not before.
     
  5. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #5
    To be fair I wouldn't consider 6.1 a major release.

    My advice would be to keep up with iDownloadblog and the forums.
     
  6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #6
    Evasi0n is for 6.0-6.1.2, which was a major release....
    Just keep up with the evaders, they are the ones that will let us know.
     
  7. TheSwede86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #7
    Thanks for all replies, so I guess I simply stay put and check the news, no need to upgrade the devices right now?
     
  8. eyoungren macrumors P6

    eyoungren

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix • 85037
    #8
    You can stay, there's no harm in it. The iPhone 5 running 6.0 can be jailbroken if you like because it's not on 6.1.3. Or you could update it to 6.1.3 but you then won't be able to jailbreak it.

    The iPad 2 with 5.1.1 is stuck there (someone may know more about that than I do) unless you want to update to 6.1.3 and lose your jailbreak.

    It's your decision of course, but if it were me I'd leave the iPad 2 alone and jailbreak the iPhone 5. There's really no difference in features between 6.0 and 6.1.3 except for bug fixes. At least I don't recall any big feature improvements.
     
  9. TheSwede86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #9
    The thing is that I would really love to be on 6.1 or later on my iPhone 5 since it enables 4G/LTE in my country (Sweden) with my carrier (Tele2).

    Otherwise I would simply JB iOS version I have today on it (6.0) and be happy :) Gah, I can't decide. Either upgrade my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3 and get 4G but no JB or wait for the 7.x release and JB it right now.
     
  10. eyoungren macrumors P6

    eyoungren

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix • 85037
    #10
    I feel for you. I guess it just comes down to what offers the most value for you. If data speed matters over usability then upgrade. If slower 3G speeds are acceptable for the time being than jailbreak.

    Rock and a hard place.
     
  11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #11
    You are stuck for both or lose the jailbreak on 6.1.3

    Just stay put and wait for the next JB, meanwhile use evasi0n for your IP5
     
  12. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    #12
    I'm amazed at how many people think we will get an iOS 7 JB anywhere near the actual release of the software. It took 5 months between the release of iOS 6 and a functional JB. It takes longer and longer every time. Plus, they're going to wait until 7.x is released so the exploits aren't patched immediately from 7.0 to 7.x.

    I would be surprised to see an iOS 7 JB before March of next year, presuming iOS 7 itself will even be released by September.
     
  13. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #13
    Correct, but the evaders have a nice trick up there sleeve, if it isn't closed in 7 it will take a bit shorter than normal.
    If it is closed evasi0n might have been the last JB for a while.

    My best guess is end of this year.
     
  14. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    #14
    As long as it takes them, I will be patient... I want the jailbreak to be the best it can be so I will be happy whenever they release the next one.

    It's clear they won't use their exploits for 6.1.3, so there is no reason to keep asking that.
     
  15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

    From A Buick 8

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Location:
    Ky Close to CinCinnati
    #15
    I would assume that if the exploit(s) they have saved are closed in 7, then a JB for 6.1.3 might well be released.
     
  16. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #16
    6.2 would be considered a major release, but there's no guarantee we'll see it (never had a 5.2) with that release.
     
  17. Demonface macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #17
    Things can change though .
     
  18. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #18
    Don't think so, Apple is already heavily testing iOS 7. Acording to reports it will bring a significant visual makeover.

    The iOS 7 annoucement is expected during the june WWDC, so a 6.2 major release does not make much sense.

    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/02...-rumored-to-have-significant-visual-makeover/
     
  19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #19
    Usually Apple stops with any .X releases after the mid Spring (post their typical iPad launch timetable). Any following releases are .X.X releases and are minor bug fixes as the team heavily focuses on the next major iOS release (iOS 7 in this case)

    I do agree with this, but iOS 7 still isn't due out until the Fall at this rate, or at least late summer (but that would deviate from recent history so that's unlikely).

    iOS 5.1.1 came out last year in May, though that's not a major release.
     
  20. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #20
    Now your making me feel bad. Was 6.1 a major release? It seems in 6.1 it had a lot of changes but they were all very minor. The only way you can tell if your on 6.1 and not 6.0 is by going into the settings.
     
  21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #21
    There's no definition of "major release", but surely a .X.X update isn't one. Speculate as you wish. Obviously iOS 7 is major.
     

Share This Page